Blood meal

Guest Butcherboy

Guest Butcherboy

Has anyone any experience on using blood meal in a base mix?

I have a fishmeal base mix which I would like to use with a high level of Minimiano but have been advised to drop the boiling time, as the Minimiano may be adversely affected by 90 sec+ boiling time.

What I'm worried about is locking the bait up with the blood meal.

Does bloodmeal act as an effective binder / hardner?

Will it lock the attraction in too much?

Would I be better using something else?

Guest Chris Shaw

I used to use a dried blood base mix many years ago. It was only ever used as a paste bait, no boiling baits in those days.

All I can say is whilst I used it, the indicators just would not stay still, the bait attracted bream in large numbers, it also caught carp.

The dry mix that I used was my original protien 10oz base mix, with almost the same weight again of dried blood. When mixed with eggs it was a very sticky fairly soft paste.

I would say that the dried blood that I used was not a binding agent. I would think that it would also prove not to be a hardner, but then, as I said I never boiled baits in those days.

You say about Minimino being affected by heat, most if not all flavours and attractors are affected by boiling. Steaming baits can prove to be more affective.

Try using your mix as a paste bait, you be pleasently surprised as to how much more affective a paste bait can be.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

Guest phil dean

Newt put up a recipe for blood as a hook bait, if you search under blood something may be there of interest...it may well have been on his thread titled "pack baits"

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Blood baits are common in the US. We have a species of catfish that absolutely dote on them. Paste baits since boilies are pretty much unknown over here.

Phil - there is at least one blood based bait in the Pack Baits thread.

Several others using blood:

3 1/2 cups plain flour

2 cups corn meal

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups blood

You also can add garlic, anise, peanut butter, or any other fragrence you can like.

Mix the dough well. I use an old stand mixer that I bought at a carport sale. The longer you mix it the stiffer it becomes.

If it gets too stiff after sitting a while, Also add water in 1/4 cup increments and test the paste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ingredients

1/2 pound of bird seed

a 3 gallon coffee can full of dog food

10 pounds of flour

1 pint blood

a couple pairs of rubber gloves

First place the 1/2 pound of bird seed into some water in a sealable container such as a plastic gallon jug with a screw on lid (put on loosly). Let it sit in the sun (or a warm place) for 1-2 weeks or until the seeds and water have fermented.

Pour most of the water onto the dogfood in the Coffee can (Careful it REALLY STINKS!!!!!!!).

Let the water and dogfood sit for 24-48 hours or until the dogfood has turned to MUSH. If you are in a hurry then you can crush the dogfood first in a blender and add water. CAREFUL DON"T LET YOUR WIFE CATCH YA USING HER BLENDER!!!!!!!

Note now would be a good time to put the rubber gloves on!!

After the dogfood has turned to mush, stir very well and make sure there are no hard pieces of dogfood in the mixture.

After the mixture has completely softened begin adding flour until it becomes a dough and doesn't stick to your hands any more. Then you are ready to fish!

Variations - common additives

Add some peanut butter to the mix before adding flour. With the Peanut Butter added it won't take as much flour.

Fish oil can be used instead of or along with the water to soften the dogfood.

Guest Butt Banger

Butcherboy

Use no more than 1oz per lb of base mix.At 1/2oz per lb it will have a significant affect on how hard your baits finish.A 14mm bait will boil very hard in 1 minute @0.5oz/lb.At 1oz per lb you will be able to boil for 30-45 seconds.

I would stick to 0.5 oz per lb.

Cheers

Butt Banger

Originally posted by Butcherboy:

Not what I had in mind really Newt. smile.gifbiggrin.gif

But interesting.

One thing is for sure Butcherboy - you would be the only one on your lake using those particular paste baits. biggrin.gif

Still and all, they might surprise you and work well. They do over here and for the most part, fish is fish.

Guest thecarpangler

very interesting Newt,

I might try the first one, but stood in the garden in rubber gloves up to my elbows in blood and dog food may raise some suspicions with the neighbours.........

Just yell out "I'm an angler you idiot - this stuff is normal for us" and they should leave you alone. Very alone.

I hesitated to post some of our more interesting bait prep methods though. One involves putting 50lbs of cheese and 50lbs of fish bits (and a few other odds and ends) in a container to age in the heat for around 6 months. eek.gif But it does catch fish. Otherwise why would you do 100lbs at a time?

Most folks who make this one and don't live on a large farm will opt to bury the container at the far edge of their yard though.