Blood meal

Guest Butcherboy

Guest Gaffer

Hi all,

Originally posted by Butcherboy:

Has anyone any experience on using blood meal in a base mix?

I have a fishmeal base mix which I would like to use with a high level of Minimiano but have been advised to drop the boiling time, as the Minimiano may be adversely affected by 90 sec+ boiling time.

What I'm worried about is locking the bait up with the blood meal.

Does bloodmeal act as an effective binder / hardner?

Will it lock the attraction in too much?

Would I be better using something else?

Butcherboy, adding Egg Albumen to your mix makes your boilies a lot harder (good for Cray's! wink.gif ), this enables you to drastically drop the boiling time.

Once boiled allow your boilies to dry for about 12hrs, then freeze and bingo a very firm boilie with a very low boiling time! smile.gif

The Egg Albumen that I use is the Richworth stuff, you may need to experiment with Egg Albumen inclusion levels and boiling times, but it does work.

The Richworth stuff which is over £7 for a pint, but then you don't have to add too much to your mix.

You'll find that some of the frozen ready-rolled baits that you can buy also have a high Egg Albumen content and a low boiling times, hence the high price. wink.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest Butt Banger

Chaps

Blood meal will do a better job than egg albumen in achieving a harder finished bait with less boiling time.Bloodmeal also has other potential advantages - very high protien level,amazing amino acid profile,miles cheaper than egg albumen and will also darken your baits to an almost black colour @ 1oz per pound (if you like dark baits).