Sleeping Bags

smalltincup

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have one near you, I recommend going to your local army surplus store and seeing what they have. I got mine from there and it's great, and wasn't at all expensive (much cheaper than those sold by tackle companies). Comfortable to -7 with a limit of -12, I think it cost about £40. Fits easily into a very small bag and weighs pretty much nothing. I don't think I've ever got in it (even in winter), I just use it as a green duvet so I can jump out and get to the rods easily.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I hadn't commented on this topic before as my needs are different to others as for health reasons I can't stand the heat. However Andrew's mention of a duvet has prompted me.

I actually have a single duvet over me and a JRC or similar waterproof breathable cover underneath to stop cold coming from below. Others may prefer the added warmth of a double duvet with half over and half under them.

Advantages include no zip and so it's quicker to respond to takes, plus the cover can easily be washed. I gather that washing sleeping bags themselves means that they gradually lose their thermal properties.

It's a solution that won't suit everyone but I throw it in for what it's worth.

One final point: I'd rather have 2 thinner layers when it's cold rather than 1 thick one. If it warms up I can take one layer off and still stay comfortable.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I loathe the word 'systems' to describe something with almost the same fervour I reserve for those who talk in terms of 'ensuring the best customer experience'!

It is a conservative estimate that I am under canvas for around 3 weeks each summer and about 2 weeks in January / February. So, gritting my teeth, I have 2 systems:

For winter, I have a Grandeslam 5-seasons sleeping bag, which has it's plusses and minusses:

The positives: Cost - £35 around 3 years ago

Efficiency: 2 crash zips with internal baffles along the fll length of the bag, and a baffle around the shoulders.

Thermal: I've been out in it comfortably in -8deg C.

Size: Huge

Features: Detachable pillow

The negatives: Weight: Not to be carried on a long walk from car!

Carry bag: not very robust

In the spring and summer, I use a self inflating mattress attched to the bedchair and a Trakker bedchair cover because it's waterproof and fleece lined. It works really well.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• 1 year later...

To be honest i got the army one, took it out once and had trouble getting out of it to get to the rods like i have with other mummy bags. So sold it and got a Big snooze from Tracker.

Yes you spend a bit on name and alike but it is designed to be attached to a carp bed. I am very happy with a my carp bag and would not change for a mummy or any other if i am carp fishing.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

One of the biggest problems I find with sleeping bags is the lack of room as I tend to shuffle around a bit before I nod off. For the last year or so I have ditched the sleeping bag and replaced it with one of the Gardner fleece lined bedchair covers which clips onto the back and bottom of the bed chair but allowsa quick exit when required without fiddling around with zips. It is very warm and can be used by regulating what you wear i.e multiple thin layers in the colder months and whatever you fancy in the warmer months. They are very wide and give excellent coverage well worth a look as an option to a bag.

Ive always use Army bags just that I use two and never actually get in and zip them up! One is a standard "mummy" bag but in XL and the other a lightweight Arctic "middle" bag.I use one to lay on and the other over the top duvet style.selecting which goes on top dependant on temperature.Never cold and quick exit!

I use a German sleeping bag (which has arms and a zip at the bottom that your legs/feet can stick out for winter Zedding.I dont actually lay down and go to sleep at night when pred fishing but sit in a chair and cat nap.The Kraut bag is used more like a parka but keeps you warm on the coldest nights.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

does anyone actually get inside the bag because i dont 'cause then when i get a run it will be a matter of falling off the bedchair and hopping along and possibly falling into the lake :roll1:

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]