john wilson

matt&shevonne

Have any of you ever thought about how bad john wilson handles his fish i was watching go fishing the other night and he caught a really nice double mirror carp and then proceded to show it to the camera with the hook still in its mouth and the line pulling tight ( ouch to the poor fish) and then when he finally got round to unhooking the poor thing instead of just taking it out he ragged it out thats how not to handle a fish!!!!

and to top it off his anoying laugh :mad:

i have noticed him treating a lot of fish badly and i know 1 thing when me and matt get our lake sorted he is not coming on it

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like him or not John Wilson is an extremely experienced and accomplished angler.He has been on the scene for many years,long before he apeared on TV.Fishing for the camera is extremely hard.Displaying the fish (which surely is what the viewers want to see) is even harder.Have you ever watched vidio/film/tv of yourself handling fish? Beleive you me if you do you will wince at your fish handling.I have watched myself a lot of times with big fish on the bank and all the time all I can think is get it back,get it back!What seems a short time the bank can look like a life time on the screen.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's a good thing to b concerned, but think again about that statement:

"and then proceded to show it to the camera with the hook still in its mouth and the line pulling tight ( ouch to the poor fish)"

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

John Wilson does more often than not set a bad example. My main gripe is that he almost never uses unhooking mats. If you have seen him pike fishing you will also see him fishing multiple rods and not even watching the float set up. I remember one example where he actually had a take quite a long time before he noticed it and he even half joked about it.

It is, I'm sure, difficult fishing to the camera but those doing so should behave beyond reproach as they are in the public eye and have to be seen setting the best possible example (IMHO).

Rob.

i totaly agree with rob well said :P

john wilsons laugh is the most anoying i know

and yes he might have been around a long time but then he should be more experienced than most!! and yes i have seen myself on video and i dont rip hooks out of fishes mouths like im a butcher :mad: he treats the fish like crap

I've fished with him a few times around the world and I've got to say that I have NEVER seen an angler who works harder at his fishing (with the possible exception of Dave Harrell fishing a Severn match which is on a par). His concentration and sheer work rate have to be seen to be believed. Yes, he's a bit old-school and likes to do things his way, but anglers are in danger of getting a little paranoid about fish welfare these days. His sheer experience of big fish handling probably makes him safer then an inexperienced angler with a mat.

Is the laugh irritating? I think it's trendy to say so. But now you try and do a commentary whilst landing a fish on camera. He doesn't do it when there's no camera because there's no need to talk. If I caught half the fish John did then I'd be a more than happy angler :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I have the 'John Wilson Fishing Encyclopaedia' and although some of it is good, some is very bad. Some of the rigs are dangerous and the way he handles fish can't be good. I don't like the way John, Bob James and other anglers hold fish when wading. Using one hand they lift the fish by its head! Fish on the bank and use 2 hands, i say!