Farlows Lake – Iver, Buckinghamshire

Julian

Hi all,

Has anybody done any carping at this venue??

I’ve a couple of mates booked into the qualifiers for the British Carp Championships in April - Does anybody have any info on the lake, i.e. – Features, Tactics, swims, etc, etc.

I’ve been on their website, but looking for a little more info.

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Hi Julian.

I have fished Farlows many times,it is only a short drive up the A4 for me,there are plenty of features including islands gravel bars and the margins are worth a go as well.

I always fish in death bay, I think the champion ship qualifying round is fished from the other side of the lake ie the factory bank moterway bank and smelly bank all of witch have a lot of open water in front of them, there are some islands that you can chuck a 4oz lead to, and it is well worth searching for the gravel bars.

as for bait single hook bait, spod out a bed of freebies and sit on it.

I have always had good results from the margins using a single hook bait with a handfull of freebies chucked in evey now and then.

The method feeder has also caught carp if cast tight to an Island.

Two seasons ago some nice mirrors came out one at

36lb 6oz one at 36lb 4oz and there are nine or ten

ranging from 30 to 35lb, but it is a 35 acre lake

so you have to work for your fish.

Hope this is some help to you.

Ken

Many thanks Ken - you have mail

Anybody else fished here?

Cheers...

Julian

HERES A REVIEW A GUY POSTED ON A SITE:

Farlow's Lake

On the 20th of June our club's monthly match descended on Farlows Lake off the M25 near to Heathrow. This lake has a reputation as a specimen carp venue but Stewart Lister had fished it in winter and said it had loads of silver fish, and would make a good match venue. Some people were sceptical but Stewart knows his stuff.

We were pegged along the motorway bank with a couple of extra pegs by the clubhouse. Most of the pegs are out into the main part of the lake in open water but I was not so lucky, as when I got to my peg it was in a little offshoot of the main lake, full of reeds. It looked fishy but I just knew it would be lumps or nothing. I tackled up with tight 12 elastic, 0.14 straight through to a 16 Preston's PR21.

I potted in some casters and corn over to the reeds and a little bit more in the small amount of open water I had. Nothing doing in the open water after thirty minutes, so I slipped a couple of casters on and went over to the reeds. The float settled and then disappeared, and before I knew it ten feet of 12 elastic was intertwined in a lovely pattern through the reeds. I pulled as hard as I could but made absolutely no impression on what was obviously a large carp or a small submarine. Fish 1 Me 0.

This particularly annoying trend continued for longer than I care to write about. I would hook them and they would bugger off along the reed line, smash my rig and I would sort out another rig only for the same thing to happen again. I did get a few fish out including a tench over 5lb and a Crucian Carp of 3lb 13oz 8 drams which is possibly a club record. I had no really heavy gear with me and in hindsight it probably wouldn't have done me any good, as they were in the reeds before you knew it and they were obviously very big fish.

It became a bit of a battle of wits in the end, as I refused to give up, but the fish won hands down. I ended up with 16lb, which was nowhere. 60lb of bream won the match caught by Gary Rolfe on sweetcorn on the tip. The backing weights were impressive as well so if you have a club match and you're local to Farlows, give it a go, you will not be disappointed.

T ;o)

Hi Tatiana,

Many thanks – will try to sort your form tonight :rolleyes:

Cheers…

Julian

• 7 years later...

I've just received the following email from terry69. Rather than start a new thread, I thought it would be best to tag it onto this one:

I am going to start fishing Farlows soon and would appreciate some info from all you top carp anglers .Any help would a bonus.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE