can i still fish my local pond?

Guest fishingmad1

Guest RobStubbs

Newt,

Our waters tend to be very unsafe as the ice rarely gets very thick (especially now as it's thawing). I have heard of people using something like an angle grinder / disc cutter (?) but you need to get out on the ice to do that. Anglers fishing canals usually use bricks and I have used something similar tied on the end of a length of rope (I never caught after doing it though biggrin.gif ).

Rob.

Originally posted by RobStubbs:

Anglers fishing canals usually use bricks and I have used something similar tied on the end of a length of rope (I never caught after doing it though

Rob - same with the ice down where I live. Rare to have it and not very thick. Ie - not safe to walk on but plenty thick to cut or hang up your rig if you do the brick thing.

BTW - you will catch better with the bricks if you use a good glug before you toss em in the water. The shape is good for anti-eject as they will usually be taken in by the fish long-ways and if your rope is on right, they will spin and try to come out side-ways and get stuck.

Guest We Are Hull

On 'Tight Lines' the other night, Keith Arthur was asked how to break the ice as well. His reply was to buy a weight from B&Q or such places, then attach a chain to that then tie a rope onto that.

Throw it out as far as possible (holding on to the end of the rope!). As the weight breaks through the ice wait until you feel it hit the bottom. Then slowly retrieve it, this will bring up the silt off the bottom and supposedly attract fish.

Guest chesters1

the same effect can be got with much less effort.

method : find a middle size dog ,grab it by the legs and skim it to the middle of the lake.

when the dog stands up it should fall through the ice ,if no joy then a larger dog needs to be used.

when the dog goes through phone the fire brigade and inform them of the dogs plight.

the fire brigade will then chop a swim for you in the effort to find the pooch.

if you have a unruley overgrown garden ,use a payphone and inform the police there is a body there. the nice policemen will then clear the undergrowth and dig the garden for you wink.gif