can i still fish my local pond?

Guest fishingmad1

A good option I used to use was to get a plastic 1 gallon petrol can, part fill it with water and then throw that in. It doesn't create as much disturbance and tends to smash a larger area on landing than does a brick or weight that just drops straight through. It also retrieves much easier when the ice is thick because it doesn't get caught under the edges of the ice.

It's also a lot lighter to carry to your peg smile.gif

chesters1 - a small modification I'd like to suggest to your dog method for breaking ice.

Most larger dogs I've met were worthwhile creatures. Many of the smaller yipping variety were not.

Rather than take a chance with a dog that might be nice to have around, how about using a brick or rock to break a hole out in the ice and then toss a yipper into the hole as if it had broken thru.

Then call for a rescue. If they do manage to get him it alive, it would be a small price to pay for a fishing area. If it happens to die during the process, then you have a double bonus.

Guest chesters1

good point newt better still is to use several tied together with pva string ( they usually come in a pack tied to a strange old lady ) or finding the usually mad lady you can carefully guide the whole lot onto the ice ( no fear of drowning the lady as the plastic bags tied to her feet will keep her afloat) you can tell the police you shouted a warning but it fell on deaf ears.