Lob Worms for Carp

Quest

10 hook with a whole worm threaded on but thread it though his body so it hind of masks the hook,

Also put a small pva bag on or a dynamite stick to mask the hook and so the worm keeps out of some of the bottom and digging its self in

Sometimes i secure the worm on slightly poped up with a fake maggot :)

[ 25. October 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: carping_mad ]

I'm afraid it is completely impossible to use worms for carp because you can't hair-rig them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Oh but you can Peter, I do it all the time!

Use a reasonably long hair, & put the needle through at an angle at either the middle or the head of the lobworm, job sorted, Carp on the bank!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Worms are probably the most effective and instantaneous bait there is for carp! I’ve been using them as bait for about 80% of my fishing this year and the results have been pretty spectacular.

I started using hair-rigs but the presentation looked dodgy and the movement of the worm did not look right. I then made a few ‘mods’ to the hooklink and attached them straight on to the hook and the fish soon followed. I tried loads of different hooks and braids to get the best presentation and after a bit of trial and error settled on a size 12 Ashima hook and Edge 2000 15lb braid (which is fantastic for the job).

worm1.jpg

Tie the braid straight to the eye and then slide a rubber-stop right up near the eye. Hook the worm on so that when on the hook, its head is pointing *away* from the eye, as they tend to move forward and this stops the hook tip getting masked in weed, etc. Gently pull the worm round to the back off the shank and over the eye itself so that it masks the bottom of the shank and the eye completely, the little rubber stop will stop it going further up the mainline.

worm2.jpg

That’s it - nice and simple. I don’t worry about the worm going into the silt, if anything that helps – any carp coming by will know the worm is there both by the food signal it gives off and its movement. I’ve watched carp root out and take buried hook baits on a number of occasions.

It helps to use a particle mix just to hold the fish long enough to find the worm, but don’t overdo it, I use one or two decent pouchfuls of my particle mix and then fish the worm over it, this encourages them to get in amongst it and hopefully pick up the hookbait. I use either one or two worms on the hook, depending on how active the fish are and how much I need to get their attention!

Check the baits often as nuisance fish will always be there to have a go. It can be a bit fiddly to get the hang of but the rewards are there.

Worms Rule! One of many this year on the rig above.

Victor.jpg

You can read more about my ‘worm’ approach Here

Have fun…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Great article Julian. Made me feel like I was standing where I could watch you catching fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President