Lob Worms for Carp

Quest

So Julian - when you gonna give another try at that 'almost normal' size lake? The 2mi x .5mi one?

:D:D

Or maybe if Budgie, Hoppy, Ant decide to head west for some fishing, join them and we'll hit a big lake or two.

[ 26. October 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I hesitate to say this after reading Julians superb article, but I still think the hair is a better way to hook a worm??????

I've always felt that one of the dangers of attaching direct to the hook is that the worm can twist & mask the hook point. Clearly Julian has not had that problem & had great success with his style of fishing the worm.

However with a one & a half inch or so hair, the variation in presentation seems to me to be far more versatile & far less likely to chance the worm coming back onto the point.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Newt,

I’ll be hitting the big water (or little to you – lol) early next year again when the other waters I fish on SOTAS are closed. Can talk a little more about the fish we had now, all were mint, most never hooked before, one of the most interesting taken was a cracking 26lb+ common. Had identical scale disfigurement on each side of its upper flank – pretty sure it was somebody’s old livebait!! Done alright for itself though!

Peter,

I’m not saying no other method is as good; just that personally I find straight to hook the easiest to employ on the bank. I have on the odd occasion had the worm hook its head on the hook so I’m not saying it never happens, but I’ve also caught fish and when unhooking noticed that the worm had gone on the hook twice, so it’s head must have been caught on the hook when the fish took it! Quite often when using the method and stalking on the Top Pool, I might only have a handful of seconds to re-bait and place the bait back out, and that’s one of the main reasons I use straight to hook, as I can re-bait in under 5 seconds and get the bait straight back out into the path of a biggie!

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Julian - sounds like that lake adds the extra spice of unknown fish of unknown maximum size.

That's always fun since even when you fail to catch a monster, you (or at least I) always think the next one may be THE one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

@Julian

Thanks for your pictures and instruction.

When I do this (fishing with worm) here in germany, then i catch all other fish as carp.. :(

How many other fish catch you, before you can catch a carp?

This method is in germany very heavy, but a nice other method as all other carphunters doing.

(sorry for my bad english )

Hi Sven,

Your English is fine, better than my German will ever be!

In most situations I’m actually stalking when I use worms, so I’ve actually spotted a carp, anticipated its direction, moved a little ahead and put a bait in its path. If using this method it’s not that often that another fish takes the bait as it’s only been in for a very short period.

There are occasions where I just fish with worm over particles and see whet happens. In these situations I do catch other fish apart from carp; tench, bream, roach, etc. It can be difficult at times to get away from the nuisance fish but it makes it all the more exciting when a good carp does come along.

If I’m fishing static on the bottom with a worm, I tend to use a size 12 hook and a light lead of around half an ounce. I will then put the rod tips up and fish with a slack line bowing down to the bait. I find that using this method you can watch the line and tip and pretty much work out what is what, you can tell when small roach and bream are hitting it as you just keep getting tiny snatches as they go at the worm and tap the lead. I don’t strike at these and just wait for the line to actually tighten before striking.

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• 5 years later...
Worms are probably the most effective and instantaneous bait there is for carp! I’ve been using them as bait for about 80% of my fishing this year and the results have been pretty spectacular.

I started using hair-rigs but the presentation looked dodgy and the movement of the worm did not look right. I then made a few ‘mods’ to the hooklink and attached them straight on to the hook and the fish soon followed. I tried loads of different hooks and braids to get the best presentation and after a bit of trial and error settled on a size 12 Ashima hook and Edge 2000 15lb braid (which is fantastic for the job).

worm1.jpg

Tie the braid straight to the eye and then slide a rubber-stop right up near the eye. Hook the worm on so that when on the hook, its head is pointing *away* from the eye, as they tend to move forward and this stops the hook tip getting masked in weed, etc. Gently pull the worm round to the back off the shank and over the eye itself so that it masks the bottom of the shank and the eye completely, the little rubber stop will stop it going further up the mainline.

worm2.jpg

That’s it - nice and simple. I don’t worry about the worm going into the silt, if anything that helps – any carp coming by will know the worm is there both by the food signal it gives off and its movement. I’ve watched carp root out and take buried hook baits on a number of occasions.

It helps to use a particle mix just to hold the fish long enough to find the worm, but don’t overdo it, I use one or two decent pouchfuls of my particle mix and then fish the worm over it, this encourages them to get in amongst it and hopefully pick up the hookbait. I use either one or two worms on the hook, depending on how active the fish are and how much I need to get their attention!

Check the baits often as nuisance fish will always be there to have a go. It can be a bit fiddly to get the hang of but the rewards are there.

Worms Rule! One of many this year on the rig above.

Victor.jpg

You can read more about my ‘worm’ approach Here

Have fun…

Julian

Dont you get pestered by small roach perch etc tugging on one end of the worm? That is always what has put me off :S

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."