Imports

OP-JB

What is the catogorization of british and import carp. People put down the fishing for, and the existence of, foreign carp in this country and get all high handed about british fish but when does an import become British? How many years? I am fishing for an imported population at the moment but they have been in this country for some time.

Any light?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, bit of a provocative thread this one!

It is generally accepted that a British Carp is one that has either natuarally spawned in or has been introduced legally to a water either as Fry or upto 10lbs (C1 to C4).

(Edit a )

[ 11 June 2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer:

Hmmm, bit of provocative thread this one..

It is generally accepted that a British Carp is one that has either natuarally spawned in or has been introduced legally to a water either as Fry or upto 10lbs (C1 to C4).

Who says? Chilly?

By that reckoning you will have the blessing of every 'REAL' (er hum) angler, if you import 100 doubles from a French Carp Farm and grow them on to sixties with pellets. As long as it is done legally and you have a Cefas lincense for import. The advantages would be fast growth during their first 3 summers in a warmer climate.

This is a very messy area and the only thing anyone agrees on is that all people have different opinions. For me as long as things have been done legally I'm happy. I would also tend to agree with Gaffer in that fish should ideally be introduced as sub 10lbers if they have to be introduced. From an angling perspective I don't believe there's any difference between a recently imported 20 and a recently stocked 'british bred' 20 - i.e. both are probably as naive.

My personal hate is the illegal movement of any fish (UK or from abroard) - so I would never fish snake pit for Dippy.

Rob.

OP-JB:

What is the catogorization of british and import carp.  People put down the fishing for, and the existence of, foreign carp in this country and get all high handed about british fish but when does an import become British?  How many years?  I am fishing for an imported population at the moment but they have been in this country for some time.  

Any light?

No offence meant mate, but with you being a fishery manager, I thought you might be able to tell us?

No offence meant mate, but with you being a fishery manager, I thought you might be able to tell us?

I like it.

The ECHO movement is a new thing which I am not involved with. ( I am T.Total and can't stand the smoke! ) I thought I might catch up with the help of some of you guys.

Nice one.

OP-JB:

Who says?  Chilly?

No. I'm not familiar with ECHO's formal description of a British Carp.

The description that I gave is a general one.

Personally I would never fish a water where Carp have been stocked illegally.

I would also choose not to fish waters where large foreign Carp have been stocked whether legally or illegaly, but that is my choice that I tend to keep to myself.

Again, personally I don't think you can find prettier fish than the old English warriors that you see the likes of Terry Hearn and Jim Shelley catching. The Carp that look like wood carvings would be my desired quarry.

But each to their own I suppose.

A question for you OP-JB, by the general definition that I have used and out of interest, are the Carp that you are targeting British?

[ 11 June 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

As many of you know I'm also a fishery manager. All the fish I stocked at Wingham are British, but I don't believe they're superior because of this.

I refused to stock foreign fish purely because of the risk. Even if they have health certificates they could have been exposed to diseases etc and survived them. Any British fish they come into contact with may not have encounted these diseases and thus have no immunity against them. It's rather like us Europeans infecting the New World with smallpox etc.

BTW, my carp were stocked from fish farms at 3 years of age. The vast majority of the fish I was offered were around 5lbs in weight. I took the flyers, which were all over 8lbs apart from the odd 7lber. However, there were several over 10lbs up to 13¾lbs.

I'm not in the least bit bothered, but do these larger fish not count as "British" in the eyes of some as they were over 10lbs?

[ 11 June 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A question for you OP-JB, by the general definition that I have used and out of interest, are the Carp that you are targeting British?

[ 11 June 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

They came from Poland originally I think and then were holed up at a farm in Holland, from where they were imported to this country, without a license alas. Why do you ask?

--------------------

Op -JB

[ 11 June 2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: OP-JB ]

i thought echo was a dolphin :confused:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson