Imports

OP-JB

chesters1:

i thought echo was a dolphin   :confused:

No its an attempt by "English" fish breeders to jump on the Carp gravy train!

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheese sauce with carp not gravy :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:

No its an attempt by "English" fish breeders to jump on the Carp gravy train![/QB]

Interesting verdict, Eddie. Can you expand in this, please? I know that those behind ECHO are not involved in commercial fish breeding, so how did you reach your conclusion?

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Beat me to it Terry..

Fishers Pond and other 'native' fast growing strains were up and running and being farmed, well before E.C.H.O.'s first hang over.

[ 13 June 2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: OP-JB ]

It's fair to say that ECHO do have close ties with both RMC and sparsholt college (both of whome are involved in carp aquaculture). I don't for a minute believe though that ECHO was set up for anything other than the reasons stated and it just makes sense for people involved in carp production to be involved in the group. I am not really a great fan of ECHO (at the moment) but I do believe they are doing their bit for the right reasons.

Rob.

Whilst totally agreeing with, and hoping they succeed with, ECHO`s aim of banning all illegal imports I can see no reason apart from commercial to try to ban all legal imports as well. English bred carp fetch a high price now if all imports are stopped the price will go through the roof. Who will gain from that?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Eddie:

Whilst totally agreeing with, and hoping they succeed with, ECHO`s aim of banning all illegal imports I can see no reason apart from commercial to try to ban all legal imports as well. English bred carp fetch a high price now if all imports are stopped the price will go through the roof. Who will gain from that?

True, but then should a legally imported Carp of around 60lb be cosidered a British record if it went on to 63lb for example?....just a thought.

Gaffer:

Gaffer:

True, but then should a legally imported Carp of around 60lb be cosidered a British record if it went on to 63lb for example?....just a thought.
If you were to take some English carp spawn and selectively hand rear the resulting fry in tanks then in heated indoor pools until it weighed 63lbs and then stocked it would it be cosidered a British record when it was caught? And if not why not? The record is for the largest of the species "fairly caught on rod and line" in this country.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

I`ll just get me rod!!!

We went along this path with trout and the conclusion was reached the if the fish had spent 2/3rds of it's life in the wild, then it was a wild fish and could be considered for the wild trout record crown. They didn't get it right here either. Wild trout are fish that have been born in the wild. They chickened out in order to flatter people and justify their existence.

""True, but then should a legally imported Carp of around 60lb be cosidered a British record if it went on to 63lb for example?....just a thought.""

I know of young, very big fish on French fish farms that could eclipse the British record. Their import could be arranged and passed by cefas. What would be the point when the fish would be berated and the owner ridiculed? May I refer you to the Benson thread earlier in the year, when a poster critisized the fish, it's owner and people who fish for it without giving any proof of the allegations. Big Carp mean big money to the fishery owner and can sometimes mean financial stability or otherwise, strange to see people wealding power of influence...with no proof, just whisper and rumour. I wonder if the grapevine influences which carp, when and where and if they are accceptable, Gaffer, and as Hitler noticed in his cafe days, people listen to those with the biggest mouth!!!!

Just a thought

( sorry Gaffer )

[ 13 June 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: OP-JB ]

Eddie:
If you were to take some English carp spawn and selectively hand rear the resulting fry in tanks then in heated indoor pools until it weighed 63lbs and then stocked it would it be cosidered a British record when it was caught? And if not why not? The record is for the largest of the species "fairly caught on rod and line" in this country.
True again, but then it wouldn't have been stocked into that particular water between C1 and C4. Therefore it couldn't be considered a true British fish by the general definition that I gave, surely?

(I'm not splitting hairs, honest! )