Unnessecary carp gear??

carpking

wordbender, what a quote and summerises everything I personally believe in. If you look good, you feel good, if you feel good you are content, IF YOU ARE CONTENT YOU WILL ENJOY YOURSELF, AND IF YOU ARE ENJOYING WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU WILL SUCCEED.

sod the rest m8 you r him on the bank

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodzzz,

That was a post that made me sit up & reach for the keyboard!

In terms of authors greater than Dick Walker, are you judging by descriptive or instructional writings?

If descriptive then I couldn't agree more. If instructive then I can't agree at all.

I'm a very keen reader of angling books old & new & accept they may well be some major gaps in my reading education, so to that end could you post some of those names, I'd like to look them up.

The assertion that the Carp of the 40's & 50's were a much less difficult proposition than present day fishing has me thinking you might be on a wind up...you're not serious are you?

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Carpking quite the opposite mate I agree with you!

If it enhances your enjoyment & doesn't harm anybody else then more power to your elbow. :D

But I was referring to Woodzzz in my post.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Dragonbat:

Dare I say all things CAMO :D:D:D

Possibly if I lived in the "camo deprived" UK I might agree.

But if I have a choice of coats that are identical except for pattern (camo vs. some other color) and price (camo less expensive) then I will opt for camo.

Or fingerless gloves with a flap that will turn them quickly to mittens - thinsulate and gortex - and I either get them in camo or not at all, then I will opt for camo.

And I own a half dozen tee shirts in camo because I can get them with pockets and in 3X for around $6 in camo vs. around $10-15 in other colors.

However, you being a good UK lad, I'm sure that all your stuff is a nice orange & green plaid. :D:D

[ 08. January 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I said that carp are more difficult nowadays due to simple reason of pressure.

There werent as many carp anglers then as there are now.

Redmire was limited to 10 members, and most of the other waters Dick visited didnt see as many anglers as the lakes do nowadays.

A wind up? I would have expected the majority to agree, they certainly have on similar topics elsewhere.

I know it seems a bit shock horror for somebody to play down Dick Walker but having read 'Lost Lines of Anglers' I think it is a much better read. [Call the ambulance]

Then again that choice is a personal thing, if there were any universal truth in angling we'd all have nothing left to catch!

My reference to Chris Yates had nothing to do with him being an author, but him being a traditionalist.

Chris is without doubt a great descriptive writer but i have still found other reads equal to Mr Walkers in instructional content.

Now I havent read all of Walkers writings, so maybe i'm not as 'learned' as the rest on the matter, but have still found him to have an equal [shock horror again]

Good on him for the bite alarms though, although I do believe a group of swedish pikers beat him to that one :D

Maybe it's just my ideas on carp, and carp angling, who knows.

quote:

Originally posted by Woodzzz:

I would say...the most useless item of carp tackle is...[personally] the spod rocket. [/QB]

Way you go then, Woodzzz - there's a couple of kilos of mixed pellet/hemp/corn/parti-blend/maggots and chopped boilies that need to be dropped on a hotspot at 70 yards range, mate - and boating is not on.

Without a spod, I reckon 50 PVA bags might do it, mate. Your move!

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

carpking:

wordbender, what a quote and summerises everything I personally believe in.

Erm...except that I do like my cammo stuff as well, mate! :)

But then I'm a tad biased in that area.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Yes but that's a drastic measure! :D:D:D

Last resort sorta thing :D

One at a time for me, never quite understood why. cos it works? maybe...

Dont get me wrong, I own one, I use it, but actually when i come to think about it i didnt use it all year.

I field test PVA as well so no problems in that department :D