2nd hand tackle

tbonejones

The majority of my gear is also Fox, Personally speaking I think they produce some excellent goods allthough as Steve rightly says expensive gear is not allways the best. I admit that being a tackle tart, I do try to match things up, but would never substitute looks for effectiveness

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with Steve on this one.Extensive advertising campaigns are what make tackle items "must have" not their fish catching ability or quality.

Fox and TFG gear is a prime example.Take their lower price range rods for example.Certainly terrific value for money but both in my opinion are just cheap far eastern produced blanks which have been given a "custom look" make over! Certainly not the top quality must have tools that a lot of anglers (in all fairness not claims made by the manufacturers)proclaim them as.

As I said great value though,just using this to demonstrate my point re advertising.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Steve Burke:

I work on a different principle. I know what I want my tackle to do and therefore buy whatever best fits the bill. No supplier has a monopoly on the best products, and I don't therefore have a favourite make.

I also find that many of the most popular makes have become so because of expensive marketing campaigns. I don't therefore agree with tbone that you have to pay more if you want quality.

One of the great advantages of the internet, and particularly sites like Angler's Net, is that good quality, good value gear gets highlighted.

Too true.... compare that with one of the weeklies....

I hate having to pay extra because a company advertises extensively. I was going to say 'expensively', until you look at the 'puffs' Fox and Nash got under the guise of articles in the last two editions of Angler's Mail. In the Nash piece, the quotes about how good the products are came from Nash employees and testers - so much for objective reviewing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

People often forget that the major income from the production of a fishing mag is the selling of advertising space.No publication is going to run a bad review of any product from one of its main advertisers.

Also many tackle "reviewers" would rave about a dog turd if it came wraped in a plastic bag with a "in" manufacturers logo on the header card................... and it was a freebie! The initials DW come to mind!!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I only buy big brand names if i can get a low price on it. I always see if a m8 or anyone i know has what i want for sale before i look for new stuff. after that i will go through all the mags i have to find the best price. i will NEVER buy anything at rrp because i know there will be somewhere that it is cheaper. It is stupid to buy the first thing you see.

Ethan

If its good value for money what ever the product and it appeals to you then fair enough, no need to pay over the top or retail prices mind, fox are an excellent example as mentioned erlier, the tackle seems to be of good quality but im sure you can find something of the same standard ALOT cheaper elsewhere.

The only two peices of 'fox' tackle i have are my bite alarms because i was fed up with cheap naff things breaking and a stalker chair because it came up at a reasonable price.

Theres quite a boundary between something cheap but nasty and over the top of reasonable quality. in most cases, but i state not in all, you generally get what you pay for.

:)PHEW!!!

steve.

BUDGIE:

People often forget that the major income from the production of a fishing mag is the selling of advertising space.No publication is going to run a bad review of any product from one of its main advertisers.

Also many tackle "reviewers" would rave about a dog turd if it came wraped in a plastic bag with a "in" manufacturers logo on the header card................... and it was a freebie! The initials DW come to mind!!!

To which I would add the initials IW who seems to have a love affair with a tackle shop near Aldershot (not really surprising!) and with a bait company hear one of the London airports - although I can't recall which one.

It shows the weakness of so-called journalism when it is driven by the advertising department - 'you don't advertise with us, we don't mention you' - it hardly shows respect for the people paying to read the rag.

That to me is the strongest selling point of an AN review - tests are 'for real', and where someone has a commercial interest, it is clearly flagged.

Just a way of saying I trust this site more than a weekly rag.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• 2 weeks later...

got a bedchair bag for my "new" bedchair this week a Cotswold Aquarius Super Deluxe Bed Chair Bag a little high on price though at £7 :(

i'm thinking of chucking the bivvy the bags so big with a couple of poles who would know the difference :D

[ 06. March 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson