Sleeping bags

RUDD

Ever since my army cadet days I have used a British army 58 sleeping bag for camping, mountain work and fishing.

An absolute workhorse it has been.

But alas it has gone missing and I suspect the missis chucked it out as it was well passed its sell-by date and only half filled with down!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am looking for a new bag.

Do I go for another 58? They go for around 25 quid which is much cheaper than all these carp models on the market and I have used a 58 in the depths of winter under a 58 poncho made into a PROPER bivvy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and come out warm in the morning.

Do I go for a more modern military bag such as a 94?

Or do I go for a carp version which seem to be wayover priced because they have a couple of bed chair straps sewn on!!!!!!!!!

If I do go for a carp version I have been looking at Trakker Big Z snooze @ 39.99 OR JRC cocoon 4 season also at 39.99

Anyone use these models? Are they any good?

Apart from crash zips what advantage do they offer over a 58?

I also do not use a bedchair but either kip on my slumber recliner or use a my thermal rollmat.

A bedchair may be an option I look at in the future if I start doing more overnighters but I cannot justify one at the moment.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a couple of 58's and they are perfectly good bags.

However, I've now got a Fishrite sleeping bag and the main difference is they are so much softer than the army ones.

As you get older, you appreciate things like comfort :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

I've got a couple of 58's and they are perfectly good bags.

However, I've now got a Fishrite sleeping bag and the main difference is they are so much softer than the army ones.

As you get older, you appreciate things like comfort   :)  

Do you have the challenger or the deep heat?

Challenger also has price tag of 39.99

RUDD

Is it a question of how much or how comfortable?? I have just one left of some I bought and which didn't go last time out. I'll get more info IF you are interested!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Trakker Big Snooze , awesum bag! fantastic value at £40. I know cold, i use to use a £10 asda bag for my first few night sessions about 3 months ago. Use to freeze my ******** of, then switched to the big z, a colder night and i wolk up warm!! + you have the clip on top cover for another £20 on top!....good for summer alone i imagine!

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Chris Goddard:

Is it a question of how much or how comfortable?? I have just one left of some I bought and which didn't go last time out. I'll get more info IF you are interested!

Its a question of getting a decent bag at a decent price.

Seen some at stupid 200+ prices!!!!!!!!!!

Just seen some numpty buy a trakker big z snooze on ebay 2nd hand for 29.01 + 7 quid postage

36.01!!!! you can can a brand new one for 39.99 @ englandtackle.

OK he saved himself 4 quid but he would have had a brand spanker with a years warranty!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay madness strikes again.

RUDD

I have a Fishrite challenger RUDD. Great quality and plenty warm and also has ties for tying to a bedchair and a pocket that slips over the top to help keep it in place, not quite as wide as some others though.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Rudd

I used to buy Sleeping bags (amongst other things), for various defence forces around the world and we did not rate the 58 patttern at all the water proof base always lead to complaints about condensation problems we had a lighterweight tropical model produced without proofing and it was a limited success.

But the 94 or the PLCE Sleeping System is a fantastic piece of kit, very warm, central half zip so you can get out quickly, and available with a goretex bivvy bag. lots of the surplus stores do these in high grade surplus for around £50 better than any carp bag on the market.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Rudd, I`ve got a Nash Snug Bug, brilliant bag apart from hot weather when you`ll overheat!!! In the cold stuff I use a Chub thermal bedchair cover over the top which is one of the best things I`ve bought for years, keeps out the draughts and damp, really makes a massive difference.

wolf.gif