Bait Boats

No problem with bait boats on our waters; they are banned.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cranfield:

This is the new bait boat that Fox is launching in the Autumn.

I believe Jim is endorsing it. :D

boat_img3.jpg

Judging by all the disturbance to waters surface I reckon the carp at that lake must be spawning.

I hope that little miniature man gets outs of there OK on his bait boat!

I dont really have a problem with boats, if you can afford one...fair play. What dont understand though is the "have bait boat must use" mentality. A specimen water I fished recently is a small water. Most fish come from the far margin, which is really just a gentle flick away, four anglers on the water three had boats and felt they had to use them...is it "have bait boat must use" or "have bait boat and want everyone to know it" ?? PS I had two fish, boat boys blanked !!

Boats always seem to me to reduce users to the level of fish catchers rather than fishermen.

An essential skill is completely done away with the logical conclusion being, a fish on the bank is all that matters, not the manner in which it was brought to the bank.

Removing the casting skill & its attendant problems is like Golf without the bunkers, Tennis without the net, ice hockey without the violence! something essential is missing.

Incidentally, thinking about the casting scenario, I quite agree with the poster who said if you can't cast to it you shouldn't fish it, spot on. However, a Carping mate of mine used to do a measured 115 yds with a 2.25 tc & a 2oz Zipp lead & that was years ago. I would have thought that with the correct gear & the required skill, that 160yds wasn't beyond the pale.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

peter mccue:

I would have thought that with the correct gear & the required skill, that 160yds wasn't beyond the pale.

What are you going to put there though Peter?

An efficient caster may be able to hit that distance - I cant incidentally - attach a stringer, a pva bag, whatever, and you reduce that distance significatly. Ever tried spodding that distance? About 80 yards is about all I can spod with any degree of accuracy.

If the fish are further away and your time is limited how are you gonna stand any chance of catching?

I use my boat occasionally as it enables me to reach where the carp are and allows me to present a nice little package of bait that will hopefully catch me a fish! i don't see aything wrong with that?

I go to fish in France several times a year, in fact I just returned from a week there, I am not prepared to go there and sit it out for a week when others are catching because they can place their bait where the carp are patrolling/feeding.

Fishing is all about using whatever tackle is available - in my book its as simple as that! A baitboat is simply another item of tackle.

I mentioned this on another post....

A water I fsh has seen most of the (difficult and not many) carp come out to the use of bait boats.

They`re not used for extreme distance, I can easily cover their areas with a pva bag. But, the water is shallow and very silty. I just think that by dropping a lead out of a boat that it lands softer on the silt giving better presentation. Also, they can use double or treble the amount of bait that I could ever hope to use with a pva bag and this I feel gives a larger source of attraction to the fish. Too much and you get breamed to death, too little (my approach by the looks of it) and the fish just swim by and ignore it.

Thats doesn`t mean I`m a fan of boats but I can see their advantages. Whether or not its actually fishing or not is not for me to comment on.....

I used to fish a water where we HAD to fish from boats and we regularly used these for mass particle baiting and taking rigs (in one swim) to far bank overhanging trees. Now, the cast was only 75 yards so it could be done with ease but the safer option was to row the baits out rather than running the risk of hitting the trees and losing loads of gear.

wolf.gif

Quite agree about the limitations Mal, but that's my point. To be able to catch a fish without a boat at such a range requires skill levels beyond me at the moment, but with a boat the job is far easier with a lot less skill needed, where is my satisfaction?

I know you've fished for Carp a lot of years Mal so please don't think I see you as a Jonny come lately, I don't.

Trouble is a lot of anglers come straight into Carp & view boats as standard for all situations, they haven't got the benefit of your experience. I just think they're short changing themselves without even knowing it & losing out on the whole experience.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.