Self Heating Food

Guest Elton

I got sent a few samples of self-heating food today.

The good news is that there are loads of flavours, from All Day Breakfast through to curry.

Review to follow soon....anyone else tried them?

Elton

Guest Chris Goddard

Several Years ago whilst In the RN. Beans and Sausage etc. Bit bland but very welcome during a freezing middle watch on trot duty!!

Can's were ruddy huge too!!

Chris Goddard

About 15 years ago I used to buy self-heating tins of stew when I went hiking. Haven't seen any for sale recently, but they got just about hot enough to take the chill out of your bones if you were stranded overnight. I even started keeping a couple of tins in the car just in case rolleyes.gif

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Wossname - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

SACN - Sea Anglers' Conservation Network

Guest RobStubbs

Elton,

I think they are OK as emergency food but too pricey for normal use, and anyway doesn't everyone carry a cooker ? Price wise I have seen 'instant coffee' that heats itself and I'm sure that's a quid a can.

Rob.

Guest Andy Thatcher

Yep that's right Rob.

I know one mug that had to try it :rolleyes

My rating ? Stick to the thermos or even better stove !

------------------

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

Elton

I have vivid memories of self heating food from about fifteen years ago - along with the hand warmers (that lasted about ten minutes) my dad was given a load by a freind who had a local shop and could'nt sell them - we went out on the boat with them and none would heat up - I was about 8 frozen to death no fish and no food - we had only taken a flask. It's one of those days you don't forget in a hurry!!!

Rob

I tried one tonight.

Within 30 seconds, I burnt my fingers.

After 15 minutes (the suggested time), the food was piping hot and steam was rising from the can (actually, it was rising well before and the food was bubbling).

Full review to follow.

The company is http://www.hotcan.com/

Elton

sounds like they've improved a lot since I last tried them. I sometimes have to drive at night through open country during the winter months, and although I've never got stranded yet, I can imagine a time when a couple of emergency tins like that could be a life-saver. If they're anything like the ones I used before, even after you've eaten the contents, the tin still stays warm for quite a long time....

BTW Elton, if you want an independent review, I'm kinda starving right now wink.gif

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Wossname - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

SACN - Sea Anglers' Conservation Network