maggot balls for carp

Guest develish_dean

Guest develish_dean

dear forum users

I WAS READING THROUGH SOME MAGAZINES FROM LAST YEAR THE OTHER DAY I COULDNT HELP BUT NOTICE THIS ONE ARTICLE.

IT WAS FROM THIS PERSON WHO I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF AND HE HAD THIS VERY GOOD WAY OF GETTING CARP, SO HE SAID.

WHAT HE DONE WAS HE GOT A SEWING NEEDLE AND THREADED A LIGHT PIECE OF LINE THROUGH THE EYE. HE THEN STARTED TO THREAD MAGGOTS ONTO THE LINE UNTIL HE HAD ABOUT 10-20 ON THE LINE. AFTER HE HAD DONE THIS HE GOT BOTH ENDS OF THE LINE TOOK THE NEEDE OFF AND PASSED THEM THROUGH THE LOOP OF HIS HAIR, HE THEN TIED THE ENDS TOGETHER SO THAT IT LOOKED AS THOUGH THERE WAS A BALL OF MAGGOTS HANGGING FROM THE HAIR. HE THEN PASSED THE HOOK THROUGH THE LOOP OF MAGGOTS SO THAT THEY WERE RIGHT NEAR HIS HOOK.

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY BODY IN HERE HAS TRIED THIS BEFORE AND IF SO DOES IT WORK BECAUSE I THINK THAT IT SOUNDS VERY GOOD AND I FEEL THAT IT COULD BE A WINNER ON HARD LAKES WERE THERE ARE A LOT OF SMALL FISH THAT ARE FED ON MAGGOTS BY MATCH ANGLERS AND PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

develish_dean - welcome to the bbs.

As a favor - especially to us old fuds whose eyes aren't real great any more, PLEASE DON'T SHOUT which is what typing in all caps is considered on the net.

Also, a post is much easier to follow if you leave a line between paragraphs. Helps the eyes to track.

I've never heard of the maggot method you speak of but it sounds interesting and well worth a try. Of course, I'm from across the pond and we hear about good baiting ideas somewhat late as a rule.

Guest Steve Burke

Hi Dean, welcome to the Forum!

As Dave has said, this is called a Medusa rig, and it can be very effective.

I reckon maggots are a much underrated bait for big carp as well as small ones. On my Carp Lake at Wingham, maggots have been the best bait I've used and the average size of carp on them is much higher than on sweetcorn for instance. In fact all the fish I've had over 20lbs have fallen to maggots. Sometimes this has been on the bottom, sometimes popped up anything up to 3ft.

However, this water contains just carp (not counting the odd pike), and other species could be a problem on other waters. Despite this, nearly all my members use boilies!

Wingham is little fished so I don't use a Medusa rig, simply putting a bunch of maggots straight on the hook without a hair rig. As everyone else on the water uses a hair, I don't, as I try to fool the carp by using a different presentation to the norm. Additionally, when the carp wise up I'll still have more complicated rigs like the Medusa to fall back on.

However, there's no doubt that the Medusa rig has an excellent track record.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Ferret1959

Another similar way to present this Medusa rig so it pops up, is to super glue maggots by their arses to a cork ball on a hair rig. smile.gif

------------------

Dave

Guest Chris Shaw

I always thought the medusa rig was a corkball or popup with maggots superglued all over it. As Ferret1959 has said.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

Guest Ferret1959

I haven't tried the medusa but know what it is. Has anyone had any joy with it.I tried 3 maggotts glued end to end but didn't try it for long.Some thing I was messing with when I was fed up one day. smile.gif

------------------

Dave

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

I always thought the medusa rig was a corkball or popup with maggots superglued all over it. As Ferret1959 has said.

Sorry, yes the Medusa rig does use a corkball.

When I mentioned popping-up maggots I'd add I also use a corkball, but I still don't use a hair for the reasons given.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Hi all,

And welcome to the forum!

Maggots underated!!! Not by me, I think maggots are the best bait there is!!!

Tho i don't like the medusa (superglue) idea. i do thread them onto cotton about 30 of them to make a 20mm ball. Then hair rig it Knotless-Knot stylie to the back of the hook and slide silicon tubing over it to hold it.

This has become the only bait i will use, but don't tell anyone that! See I believe that fish in cloudy water live in a world of textures (i saw a documentry about a star nosed mole, which really helped me to understand this, see they live in pitch black but find slugs and worms n stuff) Maggots feel natural, They don't smell yet carp find them in the silt.

Maggots rule!!

Bretty

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 18 January 2002).]