Bivvies and bedchairs?

Guest Tim Kelly

Guest Tim Kelly

I know absolutely nothing about the world of bivvies and bedchairs, so here's a very naive question.

Do all bedchairs fit in all bivvies?

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what would be a good cheap combo to buy which is very easy and quick to put up. I don't want to use it for living in, just the odd night by the lake before setting off again the next day, so it must be easy and quick to put up and down. Is there such a thing?

Tim

Guest Cranfield

Tim, When someone important notices you, your question will probably get moved to the "session" forum.

Unfortunately for you, I am not someone important. wink.gif

Guest thecarpangler

Quick and easy to put up is the Fox Easy Dome.

Up in about 2 mins, only needs 4 pegs and will fit in a lot of swims that the big 'uns wont.

Cost is about £130 to £140.

All bedchairs will fit in this.

As a general rule, cheap means longer to erect.

So your £50 and £60 bivs will take about 15 mins to erect.

Guest chesters1

the pop up bivy takes 10 seconds to erect ,but its not onsale anymore ( single skinned) and you not having mine...so there

Guest RobStubbs

Tim,

You're much better getting an oval type brolly with mini stormsides (IMHO). That gives more than enough protection from the elements for short sessions and if you get one of the better models you can zip on front & side panels.

As for bedchairs there are JRC ones about now for under a 100 quid, especially if you keep your eyes peeled for special offers.

Another couple of points cheap bivvies tend to be, well cheap, often not strong and only waterproof for a short while. You will also find that some of the cheap bivvies are too small to get a bedchair in (without squashing the sides).

Rob.

Guest Squimp

Tim,

I agree with Rob. Oval type, open fronted shelters are easily erected, portable and allow you to watch the water should you so wish.

My Nash Profile is three years old and still doesn't leak. It fits a JRC Defender bedchair with a few inches spare at either end.

I use that specific bedchair because it is light (relatively!). Better ones, apart from being much more expensive, are heavier, wider and longer - which may mean they don't fit in your bivvy.

Tim Marks

Guest Tim Kelly

Thanks for the replies, any brands or models worth looking out for in particular? Any suggestions on a source for them secondhand as an option?

Tim

Guest Squimp

Tim,

For bedchairs I would stick with JRC. Prices are ever lower. Second hand ones crop up regularly in the small ads in CarpTalk (weekly paper).

Oval shelters - the best is probably the Nash oval profile - retail around £150 - 160 these days. Second hand, again watch the small ads. A cheaper option but not as weatherproof would be an oval brolly without the mini sides.

Tim Marks

Guest Paul_H

Had a Nash profile for at least 3 years now, great as far as I am concerned, have had to re-waterproof it though this year as a few drips had started to appear along a couple of the seams, but now that is done it is as good as new.

Guest Tim Kelly

Thanks for the info. Do the umbrellas with sides like you suggest keep you dry overnight? Seems like theres alot of outside inside! Someone recommended a relum Bedchair Brotel (Gotta watch how you spell that!). It seems a bit cheaper than the nash oval and looks like a clever design. Any comments?

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Kelly (edited 05 January 2002).]