carp in snags

murphy

Butcher,I don't think that would be very sensible if you hook a "lump" , probably OK with fish up to 10/12lb but you will not stop a big fish like that.

Den

[ 17. July 2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poledark:

Butcher,I don't think that would be very sensible if you hook a "lump" , probably OK with fish up to 10/12lb but you will not stop a big fish like that.

Den

Sorry mate but IMO you're wrong.

Balanced tackle with experience works.

Unless the area should not be fished in the first place...

With only 55years experience what would I know?????

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

quote:

Den [/qb]

Unless the area should not be fished in the first place... [/QB]

without any doubt WHATSOEVER I back this guys statement whoever it may offend HE is right period

fair play to you butcherboy ..good commemt

[ 18. July 2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Butcherboy:

Butcherboy:

Den

Unless the area should not be fished in the first place...

Just had to weigh in here.

I've been fishing a couple years longer than Den. He is older so I guess I started a little younger. He had some very valid points.

Certainly balanced tackle and experience works. However, the specifics of the tackle do depend on where you are fishing and what size & species of fish you expect. 5lb T/C rod and 130lb mainline might well constitute 'balanced' in some locations. Walking backwards with 50lbs of angry fish on the hook might not work out real well. Backwinding might be a good way to break a finger or two or three.

"Unless the area shouldn't be fished in the first place" - never ran across an area like that except for places that have no fish. With reasonable tackle & tactics ('reasonable' will vary greatly with the conditions) I can't think of any place you can't fish with a reasonable expectation of landing most of your fish and a high degree of safety for fish you don't manage to land.

I know the thread started with a discussion of problems with UK carp but the blanket statements made further down in the thread sounded like they were natural laws that applies to everything, everywhere. That just ain't the case.

As to the comments about it being unlikely that a rod could exert enough pressure to break even a fairly light b/s line (like the 8 lb that gaffer mentioned), I agree. However, if you fish in rough areas, line damage can weaken the line so you may have to go a good bit heavier. Conditions again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There are definately lakes and pond areas that should not be fished where I go but we are talking The UK....9/10 occasions in my fishing I use the backwind, but then I am not expecting to hook into a 50lber again I am fishing in The UK, and even if I did theres a little switch that flicks over on the reel to engage the clutch if I need to. Experience usually prevails and ballancing your tackle is a step towards gaining that...

Common and Butcher, I have done an awfull lot of very close range snag fishing, mostly for fish in excess of 20lbs and even a few 30's. The one I posted a pic of on the 16th June was a mid twenty caught directly under the rod tip.

Most times I see the rod tip "nod" before the fish tears off.

My rods for this are 3lbTC 13ft "BlackMax" and have a through action.

99% of the time I have no trouble, but there have been a couple of occasions when for some reason the clutch has been tightened and I have forgotten to loosen it off. On both these occasions I picked up the rod and it was simply dragged down by a big fish and I was broken, no time to release the backwind...one fish almost pulled the rod out of my hands! This fish was caught a few days later with my hook still in it and it was just over 30lbs.

I also spent many years fishing a lake with lots of lily pads and carp to just under 10lbs and most times they could be landed OK, provided that you could "stop" them. When these fish started to get into double figures then they became much harder to "stop" and would get their heads down in the pads and end up damaging themselves, getting tethered or simply breaking the line.

I stopped fishing pads then (about 1955) and have never done so since.

I have also caught quite a number of carp on the pole, up to just under 20lbs.

I have about 19 or 20 thirty plus fish to my name (sorry but I did lose count around about the 16th one) and I would not have "stopped" them by tight clutch and walking backwards at the moment of the take. Indeed, the two that I lost due to tight clutch felt so violent that had I not been "pointed" then the rod would have been broken.

I would have to admit to have never tried the tight clutch and walking backwards since the twitcher days of the 70's, but that was with "small" fish and soft rods and in open water.

So I stand by my advice not to try it "if you hook a lump"

Den

Poledark, I was not trying to insult you.

I think you are taking my reply a bit personal, it was a general comment intended for all. Nice fish on your site, you obviously have a lot of experience. :P:P:)

Just my thoughts and what has worked for me.

I use 18lb line that breaks at around 22lb, not for its tow rope abilities but its abrasion qualities. I have found that 15lb is just not enough when fishing up to snags or in weed.

Hook length is usually 25lb Stealth which has not failed me yet. Sometimes 15lb Snakebite which breaks before the mainline on a straight pull.

Nash Fangs or Super Heavy’s in a 4 or 6. B175's in a 4 only. Lead on an adapted JRoberts run rig as described in Gravel Pit Carp.

Rods are 2.75lb NGs. Yes, these are soft.

My comments on areas I believe are valid. Some people will continue to cast or boat baits out to areas that are full of snags time and time again. No chance of getting a fish in.

"Caught anything?"

"No but I've lost 6 in the snags"

Not fair on the fish and not really fishing.

So your fishing in a snagy area and if the fish can run they could hit submerged trees,heavy pads etc surely common sense means fishing locked up with adequate tackle? :confused: