carp in snags

murphy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never had a problem backwinding a carp or barbel.I do use the clutch for cats though as it is a more efficient way to keep MAXIMUM pressure applied Letting go of the handle and applying pressure to the rear of the roter cup works great.........just a lot harder to do with out rapping your knuckles on a skirted spool reel.

I for one dont rtealy understand the comments re rear drag reels.All of the rear drag reels Ive used have a far smoother drag than my old Mitchels!

Anyway why give line when your snag fishing?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Doubling the line through the eye with a Grinner in my experience is totally unnesasary.Especially when the two turns end up being crossed over anyway! No matter how neat you tie it this inevitabley happens under extreme pressure.Well it does with all the cat hook lengths Ive used and never felt the need to even try it when carping.Tried it when it was first sugested by Dave Chilton but went back to tying it normally and never had a problem either with 50+ carp or 150lb+ cats.

All the various veiws have been interesting.Same as a lot of things different people find different things work for them but I feel the real answer to the initial post is to get some good quality new line and learn to tie a good knot!

Whenever I have tested knots (and I have done a lot of testing) I never found that crossing over in the eye made the slightest difference, the whole point of twice thro' the eye is to minimise slippage which leads to strangulation.

For the benefit of newer posters, there is a lot of stuff in the archives re knots and testing.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Without even considering the science behind it Den,all I say is that Ive never had a problem with going once through the eye so I simply dont bother doing it twice any more.Have you ever had a problem or are you just "belt and bracing"?

And I thought that the line crossing itself would cause strangulation?

[ 16. August 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

Twice thru the eye , and the two lines crossing over must cause morepotential strangulation, surely?

In which case maybe once thru may be better.

Using Braid I find it very difficult to keep the two lines uniform round the eye, I agree.

If you take a Tesco Carrier bag with the normal two handles, now take one that has *four* handles (all handles exactly the same for arguments sake), what one will break at the handles first?

Same principal for the hooks ties? .. hmm I'm thinking.. well it may not exactly be the same but you get my drift.

Don't speculate, test.

Budgie, in all my tests, especially with braid, twice thro' the eye is stronger.

That does not mean your once thro' is not strong enough.

As for "crossing over cutting the line underneath" what about the knotless knot? reckoned to be the strongest hook knot there is...and proven without any doubt by mine and others tests.

Den

[ 18. August 2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have not done the tests that Den explains but, I met Ian poole at waveney valley one particular day and had a decent social with him, we were chatting about the various rigs and stuff that we both use, and he also uses the twice thro the eye grinner, I questioned him why? and he also says its stronger, so I have used it ever since, never let me down, I allways use to go thro once but, if a pro does it twice then thats good enough for me

[ 18. August 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

I think the fact that twice thru the eyeuniform is so difficult with lightersoft braids, is why many use the Palomar knot, andor, use high breaking strain braids, 'cause the fact is they never really tie the double eye grinner *properly* .

P.S I find the double eye grinneruniform easy with mono. Just keep the line tight and use your finger nails to keep the two loops uniform.