54 replies to this topic

#51 Common 40

Common 40

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Carp n cats

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:49 AM

o yes, the polamar is a superb and easy knot for all anglers and widely used for good reasons..

End of the day use what hasn't let you dowm ...polamar/ grinner once or twice thro the eye/ knottless knot... all are super knots if TIED RIGHT

I must say, i allways trust the polamar to a swivel simply because its an easy trustworthy, quick knot to tie

[ 18. August 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

#52 barblesss

barblesss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:13 AM

So what do you guys think of glue on knots? Some say it makes it less liable to slippage, others say it makes the whole thing more brittle = weaker?
I like to use that Kryston bondage stuff on the end of my braid where I cut it after the knot, trying not to get the glue over the whole thing, just the end.

#53 Common 40

Common 40

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:55 PM

I never bother with glue except on the leader knot

#54 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,060 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Photography,Internet

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:21 AM

Fair point Den.I havnt ever tested them in a direct comparison as such but like you say the single works so I see no reason to change it. I dont say that the twice through method is wrong or weaker just that if once suffices then twice is unecessary if you get what I mean? It never having let me down in countless hours of fishing surely being the acid test?

I dont know the guy you mention Common but rather than just assuming some one is correct because they have a name I would much rather hear their reasons.How do you know he hasnt just read the back of one of Daves packets?!

I know some very "well known" names that have come out with strange things!

As for glueing knots I dont think a correctly tied not requires glue. In fact in some situations applying glue can cause the knot to not work properly ie like applying it to a leadcore or similar hollow braid type splice.

I do however use it to tidy up the tag ends on knots tied in braied mainlines ie to stop them fraying.
And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

#55 Common 40

Common 40

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Well Ian Poole is a very successful UK angler Budgie.

Also I do listen to proffessional people and learn alot

I glue the leader knot mainly to get a better taper on it