braid main line

comradpoplin

im thinking of getting some braid for my main lie im looking at some dark green 20lb main line so i can use 15lb hook length braid

what id like to know from you more wordly anglers is what are if there are any draw backs or problems found when using braid main line?

if life treats you wrong just go fishing if life treats you well just go fishing infact, just go fishing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braid does not stretch, as such you only have to lift the rod to connect with a fish, not the usuall overhead strike.

Be very carefull playing fish as there is no stretch to absorbe sudden lunges, that said a well set drag should sort that out.

It will wear your rod rings quicker than mono, but if its used for session carping you'll only be casting out a few times so I shouldn't worry about that.

Get some good quality scissors to trim the end so it doesnt fray.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

I've been using braid main-line for about 7 seasons now and will never to back to mono.

You will definately have to change your striking and playing technique or you will lose fish. Personally I set my clutch on the slack side and use my fore-finger on the side of the spool as a 'fine adjust'. The most crucial parts are the strike, where you just lift the rod rather than actually strike, as Rich has already suggested. And the other part is at the net, where the fore-finger on the spool is the best method. If a carp makes one last lunge, away from the net, simply lift off your fore-finger from the side of the spool and let the carp take a little line on the slack clutch. Just re-apply pressure on the spool with the fore-finger to slow the carp and regain control.

When playing a carp you can actually feel every move of the carp and after a while you can get a feel for which way the carp is going to turn before it actually turns and runs.

The bite detection with braid is superb and is the main reason why I won't go back onto mono.

Another plus with braid is that it allows you to 'lead about', meaning that you can remove the hooklink and cast about with just the lead. You can then drag the lead along the lakebed picking out features. When you find a feature, like a gravel bar that you knew was roughly there, you can 'clip up', wind in, tie on your hookbait and cast back out using the line-clip. You will be spot on!

As for ring wear, I've yet to see any ring wear on any of my rods or any of my friends rods that also use braid, including that trashy tow-rope stuff!

Lastly, braid doesn't have the abrasion resistance does, so don't be affraid to use 20lb, or more, if need be. Personally I use 50lb PowerPro, but that's just me (it helps get around rules on waters where shockleaders are banned ).

Hope that helps.

[ 08. September 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer:

As for ring wear, I've yet to see any ring wear on any of my rods or any of my friends rods that also use braid, including that trashy tow-rope stuff!

Depends on how many times you re-cast, if you get my drift :D

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Interestingly, a number of those who were, two or three years ago, singing the praises of braid have now reverted back to mono.

I don't like the lack of stretch of braid, nor its poor abrasion resistance. Its immense strength to diameter, enabling lines of 20lb+, even 30lb+ to be used, encourages some anglers to play fish much too heavily. Combine that with the lack of inherent stretch in braid, and I fear that it could lead to an increase in mouth damage.

If I was put in charge of making rules on a fishery, I'd ban the stuff.

Jim Gibbinson:

Its immense strength to diameter, enabling lines of 20lb+, even 30lb+ to be used, encourages some anglers to play fish much too heavily.

:confused:

A 3 1/2lb tc rod (with a through action) at full test curve will exert somewhere around 6 1/2lbs of linear strain, so it really doesn't matter whether the angler uses 7lb, 10lb, 20lb, 50lb, 100lb braid line, the angler cannot exert any more linear pressure than what the rod allows.

thats a fair point i tend to depend on the rod for most of my play i use the clutch very loosly so as to allow for sharp runs but i make a point of keeping the line taught while trying to maintain a streight rod upwards in the air so i allways have bend to play with in my rod ive allways thaught the bend of the rod was a vitel part of the playing process and as for people that dont play the fish enough does that not just destroy the art of fishing.

i would go as far as to say that the absense of stretch in a braid line is what draws me to using it playing the fish so as you know exactly where the fish is going would allow for more acurate play of the fish allowing you to play the fish more effectivly if you play the fish to quick you are just a fool that has lost site of the plesure of fishing in my oppinion but what do i know im a lowly man in a sport of kings :)

if life treats you wrong just go fishing if life treats you well just go fishing infact, just go fishing

I have to say that I agree with Gaffer, however, I would rather use my backwind when playing the fish, allthough I have the clutch set fairly light as he suggests, Braid will lose less fish due to line snaps and more important safer for the fish. As I have said lots of times before, once the fish is hooked then the safest place is in your net to be released in the correct manner.

All too often I have brought in large fish with inferior line and all sorts of stupid line strengths (death rigs included) Allthough I feel better for freeing the burden of that perticular fish from its prison

Braid is a top priority to me now

Common 40:

All too often I have brought in large fish with inferior line....

That's a very good point Common 40. I've saved many a fish, as a bailiff (3yrs), that were tethered and I've also brought fish in towing line, and I can't think of/remember a single fish towing braid, they were all towing damaged or poor quality mono (with the exception of one fish that was towing a Quicksilver Shockleader and 10 ft of mono).

[ 08. September 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]