Shockleader materials?

Guest Gaffer

I've been using Kryston 45lb Quicksilver for ages and ages, not only for it's shockleader qualities, but for it's resistance to abrasion.

Before Quicksilver I used to use Amnesia, as everyone used to!!

However, I've recently been trying those 20' 30lb shockleader part leadcored leader from Big Fish Adventure (Deep Shock), which I've been impressed with.

Just out of interest, what are your favoured shockleader materials?

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

hi gaffer.

personaly i have nevr used a shock leader of any sort. as with 15lb big game and a 3 oz lead, i have never found that i needed one.

and as i have never snapped off on the cast, it seems the using a shock leader would not be of any benifit to me.

Guest biteless1

to be honest i very rarely use one. my mainline is 15lb and i cant lock a rod up suffiecently to break this on the cast. in my sea fishing days i liked the tapered leaders. my other reels have gardner gr?? braid on and i just use lead core on the end, not as a shock leader but as something friendlyer to the fish's flanks.

what style of casting are you doing, i just use the over head thump because theres not a lot of room, or if im trying to get a few extra yards, of the ground.

also how far are u casting, me i use to think i could hit a hundred yrds but i dont think i do now, more like 60 to 70 yrds

all the best, arran

Guest Wordbender

Having had Quicksilver slice right through the finger of a glove on a mega-chuck, I now use mono shockleaders, and very rarely fish without one.

I found a 500 metre spool of pre-stretched, 35lb. Abu line - cost £9.99! - and this'll do me for a year or two.

I use shockleaders even when I'm primarily fishing at short to medium range, because, if I see a fish roll at long range, I want to be able to put a bait to it immediately. Plus, of course, I prefer the security of a shockleader's increased abrasion resistance.

I'd consider doing without a shockleader, if fining down my end-tackle really was required, but until then, in the words of The King - I'm all shocked up! smile.gif

Take it easy,

Terry

Guest RobStubbs

Gaffer,

I use 25lb drennan sea line and it has proven to be very good (even on the spod rod). I have used 45 and 35lb greased weasel shock leader and both are good, but a tadd thick. I did also try quicksilver and hated the stuff, I suspect it actually cut down distance.

The above said almost everywhere I fish shockleaders are banned so I don't actually use them on my fishing rods very often. I too use 15lb line straight through (good old big game).

Rob.