float fishing for carp

zenith10

i remember the first carp lake i fished went all day without a bite then around 6pm my brother started wandering round the lake it was only small though he noticed bubbles coming from feeding carp he started catching a few the biggest being 3lb then i had a go hooked a monster i was on 6lb line and it snapped me but then i caught my first carp a 1lb mirror she was a beauty. this was done by casting your float near feeding bubbles then your float would be under in a min or 2

[ 05. September 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: zenith10 ]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO also,at night or during the darker hours, How many times did you attach a nitelite or beta lite to your float and stare at it till you eventually end up seeing 3 floats and wondered was that a knock a twitch? I dont feel there is much pleasure in that I much prefer to be in my bivvy occupying myself in other ways waiting for my Delks to tell me when I have a fish on

[ 05. September 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Each to their own, Common, but I get more pleasure out of float fishing. Sometimes on a very short session I'll choose to float fish just for the fun of it.

Usually though I want to maximise my chances of catching, so I use both methods depending on which I think will catch better. In most cases on a gravel pit it'll be ledgering, especially on a long session. Sometimes however it'll be float fishing.

By the way, have you tried Starlights and electric floats - I find they're less tiring than betalights, plus they're easier to see at dusk and dawn?

I'd add that I by no means always use self-hooking rigs, so my alarms don't tell me I've got a fish on, just that I've got a bite!

Finally, except at night I'm rarely occupied in my bivvy. Instead I'm scanning the water for fish, or watching the wildlife. Having said that, I appreciate that many carpers like the life of a camper and the relaxation it provides in an otherwise stress-filled life.

As I said at the beginning, each to their own.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

fair comment steve, each to there own, I too scan the water from my bivvy or from up a tree or simply walking round the lake, I usually have my remote switched on if I am away from the rods unless its round the lake I would then wind in. never really looked at my type of fishing as a camping outing, allthough I do have a stove and a few sarnies at hand :)

When I float fish I always use my Bite alarm! I can't always watch the float, but when I can it gives me an edge.

Trouble with float fishing (on the water I fish anyway), is the fish can see the vertical line.

I've watched 'em , and they spook. If they don't see it they swin into it :( .

I use Pro Clear, fish overdepth as much as possible.

But Float fishing has many advantages as you all know, but their are draw backs.

Had my biggest carp right up against the bank when I'm able to get the line almost against the bank .. get me?

Common, I think we both used exaggerated reasoning but what I was trying to say is that there are situations where 90% of anglers would do better with a float. Range fishing with a float is a waste of time, a decent rig is better used in these circumstances.

Most carpers arrive at a water and look for fish where they want to fish for them rather than where the fish actually are. This normally leads to the angler chucking rigs a distance whereas if they`d looked properly the`d have seen the carp swimming right under their feet.

wolf.gif