Camo catalogue

poledark

DavyR:

DavyR:

...indulge in noisy conversation with a friend across the water,

Whilst all the other things Jim mentions undoubtedly scare fish, I was always led to believe that they were unaware of noise travelling through the air (unless it's so loud as to cause a vibration through the water). Anyone any evidence that shouting across the water (annoying as it is to other people)scares fish?
The red hat brigade (4 family members who all turned up in matching red hats to much merryment from other members one day!) who fish at Ladywood insist on hammering in bank sticks and umbrella poles then shouting at each other all day long always seem to catch a good un first cast!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if an anglers all camo'ed up and catchin fish do you recon you could go set up in his swim next to him and get away with, 'oh, sorry mate, didnt see you there?'

steve.

the way I look at it, it's a bit like a uniform, I used to wear all sorts of clothes to go fishing, and invariably ruin them and have some explaining to do to the missus....now I just chuck my green tweleve pocket shorts on full of bits, boots (or sandals weather depending) and my camo t-shirt.. :confused: whats the problem?

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I wish I could quote the reference; unfortunately I can't. But I recall divers saying that while submerged they could hear voices from people on the bank/shore or what-have-you. If so, I'm not sure whether this would scare fish, but hearing raucous voices yelling across the water when I'm fishing irritates the hell out of me. To be fair, though, I do get irritated rather easily...

Jim Gibbinson:

I wish I could quote the reference; unfortunately I can't. But I recall divers saying that while submerged they could hear voices from people on the bank/shore or what-have-you. If so, I'm not sure whether this would scare fish, but hearing raucous voices yelling across the water when I'm fishing irritates the hell out of me. To be fair, though, I do get irritated rather easily...

Sound travels better over water than land as water is (normally) both flat and a better conducter.

Fish dont have ears like us but do hear via vibrations - like us.

I belive fish can hear us talking via vibrations but weather conditions and depth of water probably have an affect on this.

Dont if sound range makes a differance (bass, mid range or treble) but whales comminicate on very high frequencies.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

"I wish I could quote the reference; unfortunately I can't. But I recall divers saying that while submerged they could hear voices from people on the bank/shore or what-have-you. If so, I'm not sure whether this would scare fish, but hearing raucous voices yelling across the water when I'm fishing irritates the hell out of me. To be fair, though, I do get irritated rather easily... "

I've watched Chub scarper for snags when I have been stalking them, completely out of site, and silent, because a dog has barked...and that was about 10m away from the waters edge....think it's best to keep quiet..

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I was born and raised in Horton and spent most of my young life in and around the gravel pits that eventually became the Church Lake, Kingsmead One and Two, Crayfish Pool and the Wraysbury complex.

Summers were spent swimming and snorkeling these waters and some of the sights I saw were remarkable. I once swam right up to a mid-double pike and grabbed a lure that had foul-hooked it in the gill-plate. The pike went ballistic and towed me dolphin-style for a second or two!

Anyway, as exciting as the visual stuff was, it was the sounds I really remember. There's a hell of a racket going on in our lakes, due mainly to the sound-transmission qualities of water.

While swimming, a friend and I would take up positions on opposite sides of a lake, submerge and tap a couple of small stones together. Even when hundreds of yards apart, those taps came through loud and clear, as did the sound of feet crunching on the gravel margins.

Can the fish hear us? You bet your buzzers they can. Quite how they interpret what they hear is another matter entirely but don't ever kid yourself that even screw-in banksticks can be sited in a gravel margin without our quarry knowing about it. God alone knows what they think when bivvy pegs are belted in!

All part of angling's rich wossname, I reckon.

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Interesting stuff.

I subscribe to Dick Walker's statement, "I take great pains to avoid scaring fish, but I'm convinced that I still probably scare far too many."

Or to put it another way: I acknowledge that sometimes my endeavours to remain quiet and out of sight are futile, but those endeavours are unlikely to do further harm to an existing situation.

Whales communicate with sound over several kilometres(I have gone metric :D ), and beavers appararently slap the water as a warning to others.

I also noted the comments from a hot air balloonist drifting over the sea.... "the sound of the waves was deafening"

Perhaps that is why I seem to catch more when it is windy, specially when margin fishing? The waves will probably break up any view above the surface???

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic