What size breaking strain for main line?

UJ Supanova

What size breaking strain should i use for my mainline when Carp fishing?

so far i've caught a few carp while fishing for Tench, and i'd like to get into Carp fishing, i have a load of Carp tackle and now i want to get into real Specimen carp fishing. Anyway, the heaviest line i've used so was was 8lb breaking strain as a main line. But when i look at hair rigs in shops with braid, it's all around 20lb hooklenght bs.

I was going to get 12lb main line, but i thought the hooklength should be weaker than the main line...

What should i go for?

[ 26. August 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: UJ Supanova ]

Hi UJ - Depends on the size of fish you're targeting, what sort of venue (i.e. is there heavy weed or sharp gravel bars) and how far will you need to cast to reach the fish.

As a general rule, 12lb mainline should suit most situations and is a good place to start.

"i thought the hooklength should be weaker than the main line" - You are right in your thinking, but that is not always the case regards targeting specimens due to the properties required in certain hooklength configerations.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I would agree with Ant with regards the water 'features', size of fish is pretty much irrelevant. I would opt for 10lb line in most places with little or no weed, 12lb as general anywater line and 15lb if fishing very weedy or snaggy waters (I use 15lb all the time).

Hooklengths are weaker than mainline in general coarse fishing because they are generally fixed lead rigs plus you need the finess in hooklength to catch the wary small fish. With carp fishing the rigs will be safe which means if you do break off at any stage the lead drops off and there is only line with a hook on the end.

Rob.

I think the above posts have it covered pretty much. I use line between 12 and 15lb breaking strain depending on weed, snags and pads!

Just one thing to note; stated breaking strains on either mainline or hooklink materials don’t always mean that that’s what they will break at. Depending on the knots you tie and the way your set-up is presented, some lines (hooklink materials particularly) may break at far less than is stated on the product.

I find it’s always best to test rigs once you’ve made them up to see at what point things start to snap or let go – you’d be quite surprised how easily some products give up!

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!