Home made rod pods.

Guest Nightwing

Guest Nightwing

Anyone try this? In looking at various rod pods, both in person and in catalogs, I see no reason to purchase one. The designs are relatively simple, and I can even see several immediate improvements that could be made. I can get stainles steel, aluminum, or brass cheap, including threaded fittings, at our local hardware store. Heavy duty PVC even cheaper!

I am thinking of several designes(knock offs of comercial ones), but with improved legs based on rifle bipods and camera tripods.

Banksticks look to be even easier.

Wish me luck!

Nightwing,

Gaffer makes his own kit from stainless and, no doubt, will be able to help you with a few ideas when he's next on here.

Tight lines,

Elton

Guest Cranfield

Nightwing, One thing you should consider when choosing the raw material, WEIGHT.

I went through the Tackle Tart phase in my serious carping days and bought all the stainless bits.

Only problem was carrying it.

Fortunately I found enough people to buy it from me.

I have never understood the need for stainless.Bank sticks etc that I have had 20+ years have never rusted and my Cygnet pod is very portable.

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, as a self confessed Tackle Tart I have a nice selection of Stainless Steel banks sticks, buzzbars and pod, but the are very heavy to cart about. Especially when using 4 rods and I like to use single bank sticks.(that's 2x20in bank sticks per rod!)

One good thing with stainless is that it is very durable, strong and will last forever. I've thrown many a 'wobbly' trying to get my old 'ally bank sticks into gravel, only to watch them bend! rolleyes.gif

A stainless pod is also 'rock-steady' in high winds 'cos of the weight.

I get a lot of pleasure out of making my own stuff especially when it far out weighs the cost.

Having said that, there is a lot of cheap stainless bank tackle on sale at the moment and it beats me how they can sell them for what they do when I can't even buy in the materials for less!! eek.gif

I'll be back later with some pics (if I can find them) of the stuff I've made and or use.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest Nightwing

Thanks guys. Not so much a tackle tart thing(I own no "proper" carp gear at all, I use salmon and steelhead gear!), but one of need. I often fish off of long cement piers in Lake Michgan, so no place to put rods. Weight is not a problem(at most, only a mile walk or so), it is even a plus due to the constant wind off the lake.

Gaffer & Nightwing,

Serious question: is fabricating fishing gear from stainless within the realms of the man in the street, or do you need access to some serious equipment for this?

Elton

Guest Gaffer

I'm very fortunate to have access (when ever I want) to a mill, a couple of lathes and various grinders.

I've also got all of my own Taps and Dies ranging from 8BA upto some huge Whitworth threads.

Personally I hate machining Stainless Steel, especially big stuff, and much prefer Alluminium or Brass as they are far easier to machine.

To cut a fair amount of Stainless (anything more than a 1 off) you need tipped tools as Stainless burns out ordinary tools far too easily. Also you really need T-Carbide drills which ain't cheap!

I'm used to working with very small components and threads, the smaller the better, so fishing tackle is what I make best and enjoy the most.

For example, I have just cross drilled 20 Korda safety clips by hand with a 0.25mm drill!! eek.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 05 January 2002).]