have shelf - life boilies had their day?

methods in fishing are changing all the time. i thought the whole point of the bolt rigs, hairs, boilies etc. were to fool the older, wiser fish in the lake but so many people use this method now the fish are wising up to the rigs that are supposed to fool them. i suppose thats where running ledger rigs and smaller baits come into play lots of people have started to use that as well. where will it all end?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have people noticed that the 'New - Get on it!' tactics trumpeted in the angling press are rehashes of old tried and tested rigs with only minor, if any, variations?

The fact is that there is little really radical innovation about. That probably explains why apart from the obvious seasonal nature of angling, the angling press regurgitates the same old stuff year after year.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

fantasticfisherman:

yeah all the rigs and tactics i see in the angling press all seem to do the same thing, meaning theres no point in switching rigs you use now

Not entirely Fantastic by using certain rigs for certain fishing situations you will improve your chances of getting the bait into a situation where it can be taken by a fish should it wish to feed and also maximise your chances of hooking it, let me give you an example thats happened to me this year on my new club water, fishing to an island at 100+ yards water depth is an average 12ft+, using my normal running rigs and hooklinks i was getting the distance but 7 out of 10 times it would tangle something i have never experienced before. The cure i found after some thought and by chatting with the regulars, i ended up using the helecopter rig (for the first time ever) and shortish stiff hooklinks (again for the first time ever) result no more tangles and plenty of fish hooked. Now like a pillock i thought i would change somethng in the system and see what occured the change was the lead i went from a dumpy pear lead to a fluted kind the next 6 runs i either missed completely or lost em while playing the fish, i am convinced that this was due to the dumpy lead causing the hook to penitrate correctly at range whereas i suspect the fluted type skidded across the lake bed which is quite gravely and didnt penitrate correctly.

Now i appreciate that sticking to a rig that works is sound advice but you should always be ready to change for the situation and by working through a problem and changing your rigs accordingly and trying to imagine how its reacting underwater you will put more fish on the bank.

Frankly id be a liar if i said i didnt get and read the mags especially the rigs sections but i dont use them as i am convinced the rigs in most of the magazines are designed to catch the angler and not the fish but that said they are worth looking at as you never know when a situation occurs where that knowledge gleaned from the mags helps you resolve a problem.

ok point taken, but as alan said some of the rigs you find in there only have minor changes which may help and sometimes may not help and sometimes just make the rig look good.now i hear you say "well if they dont look good then they can't be very good" again, point taken.obviously good rigs and confidence in your baits will get you more bites and fish on the bank. i myself have been looking at all the different rigs and baits as research to putting those fish on the bank and hopefully it will pay off this season.

thanks julian i'll bear that in mind & im one of those who dont like messing around with them i have a friend who likes to make his own & ive seen & smelt the end product no wonder he caches nowt. i'll stick to my shelf life ones lol

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

fantasticfisherman:

ok point taken, but as alan said some of the rigs you find in there only have minor changes which may help and sometimes may not help and sometimes just make the rig look good.now i hear you say "well if they dont look good then they can't be very good" again, point taken.obviously good rigs and confidence in your baits will get you more bites and fish on the bank. i myself have been looking at all the different rigs and baits as research to putting those fish on the bank and hopefully it will pay off this season.

Oh most definatly mate no argument there, as allan said most are just a rehash, though if you take one rig for instance "the blowback rig" and change the pattern of hook, basically a small change however this rig will now change dramatically in the way it reacts and works.