River Lugg?

david t

Hello, I have access to a stretch of the River Lugg at moreton, near hereford. How does the river fish for trout at this time of year? Ive never fished it, or seen it, but realised I have access to it on a club ticket.

Cheers

dave

Hello, I have access to a stretch of the River Lugg at moreton, near hereford. How does the river fish for trout at this time of year? Ive never fished it, or seen it, but realised I have access to it on a club ticket.

Cheers

dave

Hi Dave,

I fish the Lugg a bit north of you. It's a bit slow at the moment but, funnily enough I've just come back from a long walk with a view to fishing it this evening.

The water is almost gin clear at the moment with a few hatches blowing up. I was watching a number of fish of about the 8-12oz size and they are all taking food on the bottom. I plan to try a spot of upstream wet or upstream nymphing this evening.

I'll take the dry flies as well though as they may well start rising if the wind stays down and the hatches increase.

Good flies at this time of year are (in no particular order):

Dry: Alder (Herefordshire naturally!), Adams, BWO and all the variants, Greenwells glory (try super small ones, 18 or 20), Miller, and Cocch-y-bondu fished dry can be good.

Wets, well almost anything small really but the ubiquitous pheasant tail nymph's good especially with a small weighted bead, I fish them upstream into the riffles and let them drop into the pools. I find that most of the sparsely tied traditional wets do quite well such as partridge and orange and all the usual variants.

Tight lines, Nick.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!