Whats new in carping?!

Christian,

I think you’re dead right, it’s about keeping an open mind to bait. I think that a good quality boilie used at the right time can be devastating, but it’s important to remember that there are many, many, other baits out there that can be just as effective, again when used at the right time.

Boilies will always prove popular due to there ease of use and their undoubted success rate, but I don’t think you need to chop and change all the time. Like yourself I moved from one bait to another over a period of years but eventually I settled on a bait that gave me 100% confidence and I’ve stayed with it ever since (Shellfish B5).

That said, I don’t use it every time out. The vast majority of my fishing this year has been on naturals, and I’m happy with the results I’ve had, but when I have put a B5 on, it’s caught. Like you say, I think it’s largely down to the baiting approach rather than the bait itself.

I think there are obviously going to be positive developments in terms of new ingredients and additives to boilies and bait as time goes on, but I’m not sure how different a bait will be in say five years time? I think a great deal of the breakthroughs in understanding bait formulation have already been made, thus big steps forward will happen, but at a slower pace.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

What's new in carping? How about moronic behaviour, violence, racism, commercial over-exploitation, full-timers using rod hours as a substitute for skill - I'm sure the list goes on.

I carp fish obsessionally and WOULD have to agree with Peter. Those who have a deep understanding of the history and are consumed by the beauty of carp fishing are swamped by the morons. Virtually every water I have fished over the last 5 years have suffered from them. I either have to travel to those waters with low stocking densities or pay the bucks and join a syndicate - and even on these some of the anglers fishing leave a lot to be desired.

As for the nutirional properties of baits Christian, Isuggest that you read Tim Paisley's 'Big Carp' book Not much has changed since then and it may convince you to make you own :D

[ 06. November 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: kevthefish ]

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk

As a very keen Carper of over 20yrs experience, I have to admit to having some sympathy for Peters view.

Peter has certainly overstated his case, but whilst the morons are still in the minority, it is unfortunately a large minority.

The one good thing is they tend to stay with the 'circus' waters, & the more unfashionable waters where the fish are not so big & well known are not so blighted.

Part of the blame must surely lie with these peoples heroes, who quite honestly do the sport no favours at all with their writings on how they've poached this water, or broken 'irrelevant' rules on some other water.

Some of the crazy arguments & vitriol I've read about the present talking points within Carping sometimes makes me worry for the future of this marvellous section of our sport.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Perhaps I should have revealed to Julian that I have been almost exclusively a carp, pike and zander angler for the past twenty five years. It is only recently though, that the sneering, back-biting, intolerance and tackle obsession has taken over. On some waters, the latest tackle has become the new "bling". Use anything less than three ultra-powerful rods weighed down with the latest in surf casting meat mincers and you are regarded as some kind of alien. No method is now out of bounds if it helps to get that photo in Carp Talk. New methods are devised solely around the products from a particular manufacturer's catalogue, in some cases encouraging you to jettison expensive and polluting lead into the aquatic environment. I think I'll grab a loaf of bread and have an afternoon's chub fishing.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

What's new in carping? How about moronic behaviour, violence, racism, commercial over-exploitation, full-timers using rod hours as a substitute for skill - I'm sure the list goes on.

I understand your view fully Peter, but by using the above, did you really expect to get anything other that the reaction you got?

For those who don't understand where you are coming from, I feel it gives the wrong impression!

The carp bites either at worms, or at paste: and of worms I think the bluish marsh or meadow worm is best; but possibly another worm, not too big, may do as well, and so may a green gentle: and as for pastes, there are almost as many sorts as there are medicines for the toothache; but doubtless sweet pastes are best; I mean, pastes made with honey or with sugar: which, that may better beguile this crafty fish, should be thrown into the pond or place in which you fish for him, some hours, or longer, before you undertake your trial of skill with the angle-rod; and dobtless, if it be thrown into the water a day or two before, at several times, and in small pellets, you are the likelier, when you fish for the Carp, to obtain your desired sport. Or, in a large pond, to draw them to any certain place, that they may be better and with more hope be fished for, you are to throw into it, in some certain places, either grains, or blood mixt with cow-dung or with bran; or any garbage, as chicken's guts or the like; and then, some of your small sweet pellets with which you propose to angle: and these small pellets being a few of them also thrown in as you are angling, will be the better.

And your paste must be made thus: take the flesh of a rabbit, or cat, cut small; and bean-flour; and if that may not be easily got, get the other flour; and then, mix these together, and put to them either sugar, or honey, which I think the better: and then beat these together in a mortar, or sometimes work them in your hands, your hands being very clean; and then make it into a ball, or two, or three, as you like best for your use: but you must work or pound it so long in the mortar, as to make it so tough as to hang upon your hook, without washing from it, yet not too hard: or,that you may better keep it on your hook, you may knead with your paste a a little, and not too much, white or yellowish wool.

And if you would have this paste keep all the year, for any other fish, then mix it with virgin-wax and clarified honey, and work them together with your hands, before the fire; then make these into little balls, and they will keep all year.

And if you fish for a Carp with gentles, then put upon your hook a small piece of scarlet, it being soaked in or anointed with oil of petre, called by some, oil of the rock: and if your gentles be put, two or three days before, into a box or horn anointed with honey, and so put upon your hook as to preserve them living, you are as like to kill this crafty fish this way as any other: but still, as you are fishing, chew a little white or brown bread in your mouth, and cast it into the pond about the place where your float swims. Other baits there be: but these, with diligence and patient watchfulness, will do better than any I have practised or heard of.

Tight Lines - Izaak

I fully appreciate the problems within carp angling, and that’s why I give up large amounts of my time to several angling clubs and associations to try to help educate people in the way the sport should be enjoyed.

I understand the concerns and yes, I see the same kind of Muppets on waters in my area, but that was never my point. I was taking issue with the fact that Peter made several blanket statements intimating that all carp anglers are the same, which is simply not true!

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I've re-read my posts and I can't see any blanket statements. I merely gave a few examples of behaviour and ideology that is now present in carp fishing, whereas previously, it was either largely absent or successfully supressed. I'm not so naive as to think there were never certain individuals with obnoxious viewpoints, but they would previously have been considered an embarrassment. Perhaps the internet is to blame, so that those whose participation in carp fishing is merely incidental, have free rein to express views that would never otherwise have made it into print. That still doesn't explain why you don't tend to get football hooligans and borderline psychotics on forums dedicated to other types of angling - I exclude this website as being a rare haven of relative tolerance and good behaviour.

What on earth must a youngster interested in carp fishing think, when the main topics on a website forum discuss the most entertaining ways of torturing rats, or the most effective weapons with which to maim intruders? It is difficult to justify angling as a beneficial activity when confronted with such effective anti-angling propoganda. What is it about carp angling that attracts right wing extremists and military fantasists?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

It could be the camo (I wear some) It could be the bivvying up army style(I don't do that) it could even be the setting out the weaponry and all the sophisticated alarms and software that operate them (mine are cheapos)

It could be the language used..." I took the place apart" ..."X destroyed the place"....We blitzed them"..."had a real screamer at 1am".. "loaded the swim with 8k of Matrix"...

And "got through a full pack of Stella and an Indian to follow burp burp "

I really feel I miss out on Soooooo much being a non drinker :P

I see it all every Friday and that is why I don't fish weekends....could also be because I fish all the other five days :D:D

Whatever it is, it is unstoppable, it has now invaded barbel fishing, and even pikeing has a fair number of them.

A lot of it is to do with showing off the gear and here again I am out of step with the majority as I make as much of my gear as I can...and get the pitying looks by those who do not know my catch rate

At least 70% of the ones I see are fat, shaven headed and "not a pretty sight", but then if you go down any high street you will see far more and far worse :D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic