FLOATER FISHING NEAR SNAGS???

BURTON

Hi fellow fisherman i have just started fishing for carp off the surface but near bullrushes and most of the time there straight in the snags and i have no chance there gone, after being snapped of 3 times i gave up coz dont wanna be leaving hooks in carps mouths when am fighting a losing battle. i fished 12 pound line straight through. could anyone tell me wot i should be doing ie wot line, bs, hooks i should be using for this job, ive also heard alot about braid? any response from anyone who knows a thing or too about carp fishing would be grately appriciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i was you i would scale up everything and try using 30 pound braid or heavier mono. braid has a very thin diameter so it shudnt scare the fish to much. i would also fish a tight clutch, and maybe use a heavier test curve rod of around 3 lb. as for hooks rapters are prety strong, and also fairly light so they shouldnt affect the surface bait to much. ive never had a rapter bend on me whilt playing a fish. so i use them all the time. If i was you id use about a size 8 or 6. :)

Burton, it's difficult from where I'm sat (in a nice comfy office) to weigh up the risks and give you an opinion, especially without seeing the water where you're fishing. But from what you've said already, and the description that you've given, I would find somewhere else to fish.

How big are the fish that you are fishing for?

On one of my locals, i fish floaters right up to the island snags and use 15lb mono and a 2.75 TC rod. When i see the fish take the bait i immediatly pull the fish away from the snags before it nows whats happening, this gives you a better chance of landing it. The carp in my lake only go to around 15lb though.

Hope this helps

welcome to AN

BURTON:

find some where else to fish??? thanks alot gaffer tlk about sit on the fence never mind (in a nice comfy office) couldnt you be a little more helpfull please?

OK, putting it a different way....

From what you have said I wouldn't risk the welfare of the fish, I would find another swim to fish.

If you were fishing near lillies where a braid mainline would cut through it, then great, but to surface-fish close to Bullrushes whilst targeting 20lb carp is a bit too risky for my liking.

How's that? :)