FLOATER FISHING NEAR SNAGS???

BURTON

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, if you're over the top of a fish, as you would be when stalking, then fair enough. In fact I use a 9ft 6in Stalking rod with a tc of 1 3/4lbs.

But if you're fishing across to bullrushes, at any distance, then you lose the advantage of being over the top ot the fish and in my opinion it's a case of set the hook and bully away from the bullrushes into open water before playing it as normal.

As I said I tend to stalk fish, if fishing at distance i use traditional carp rods, if I remember correctly the majority of the first ones were about 11/2 lb test curve, the first stepped up ones were I think mentioned by Jim Gibbinson, and they were Aitkins Superflex 10ft 2lb test curve bass rods. The progession to ever heavier carp rods, has at times filled me with some ammusment, to see 3lb test curve rods used on what are little more than ponds is beyond comprehension. Yes if you are banging leads and baits 120yds but they have no place on most fisheries. I have been known to fish bullrushes/reedmace swims, even with my fly rod, chest wadwers help!! :)

Jim

Can you lend me a pair of those wadwers when we go carp fishing on Wednesday :)

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Going back to a thread a couple of weeks ago (hard landing) I still think that there can come a time or set of cicumstances where the welfare of the fish should come first and attempts to land it be abandoned. It's all very well to have a plan as to where to land it, ideally in open water, but so often the best laid plans etc. etc.

Wading in may also not be an option, if water is too deep, or not known it's not worth the risk, and stabbing at the fish with a landing net from the bank may cause damage.

Just a thought :confused:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

I think it,s about confidence, as I said you dictate to the fish not vice versa. I see far to many people who are frightened to put a bend in their rods, play a fish quickly and it will recover quickly. Try useing softer through actioned rods, you can put imense power into the fight and not pull the hook out. Fly rods are usualy lighter than most rods and we used to build tench rods on fly rod blanks, and I know of one near double figure tench from Kent that was landed on one. Johnsons finger lake we called it.

Totally agree with Jims comments re lighter rods and the way they work in this situation.

Thats Jim G and Jim D!

[ 29. July 2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!