Black spot and pike baits

singy

It would be interesting to know if freezing does actually kill off any viral contamination of live/dead baits, and if this doesnt, what would.

A lively debate is a good thing in these areas.

I for one dont pike fish a lot, however, reading about recent virual infections at the british waterways (i think) establishment made me think about what damage could be done if people arnt vigilant.

I also recall someone calling in on Tight Lines, and trying to wind up Keith Authur by asking about livebaiting with goldfish. He was non to pleased and told the caller in no uncertain terms that the transporting of live fish between water courses was illegal.

I understand that if this was strictly adhered to then you wouldnt be able to use frozen coarse baits from the local shop, however, to not address the issues could have devastating consequences.

What is the PAG view on the situ?

Chris

Thinking of going ledgering for a alligator sized pike this winter.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, but i imagine that this would be one of the hot topics for them.

There are a few of the guys on here who are members, it may be worthwhile to either get in touch with the head honcho, or similar to get thier views on the subject.

Im off for a quick search to see what i can dig up.

From the PACGB Web site....

Livebaits must only be used on the water they have been caught from so you must always be aware of the fishery byelaws which you can find out more about here.

From the Environment Agency Website...

It is an offence to use crayfish (alive or dead) as a bait at any time.

Fish taken for use as live bait may only be used on the water from which they have been taken.

New byelaws have been introduced in the North West region to help protect some of Britains rarest fish species.

(this is summed up by the ban on coarse fish baits on lakes in the lake district)

My understanding from A level biology is that freezing will kill multi cellular organisms, so parasites would probably be killed. Certain bacteria and single cellular organisms can survive freezing. they just shut down and are only 'denatured' by heat. So if my thinking is right it's the nasties you can't see that would be more of a danger.

Any thoughts on this one?

Paul Singleton

Chris the Fish:

It would be interesting to know if freezing does actually kill off any viral contamination  

Any freezing you could do at home would absolutely not kill a virus. In fact, you can read articles about the best ways of shipping a sample to a medical lab for testing and the suggest keeping the sample at -70ºC if you can to preserve the virus.

You might be able to kill them by repeated freezeing/thawing since the ice crystal build up might do the job for you but the bait would be so mushy as to be useless.

As noted, bacteria and other more complex organisms might be killed by simply freezing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

As noted, bacteria and other more complex organisms might be killed by simply freezing.

As far as I recall from my Biology studies, all (?) bacteria can survive freezing by forming cold-resistant spores. When defrosted the spores return to the normal active state. Incidentally these spores are also resistant to heat, which is why it's a bad idea to cook a frozen chicken - the spores dont have time to emerge into the normal state, survive the cooking, and re-emerge on your plate or in your gut. Bingo - nice dose of salmonella.

Anyway, any fish-affecting bacterial infections in your frozen deadbaits are likely to be active when you fish with them.

This is probably why my local trout reservoir only allows sea fish dead baits when they open for occasional piking. Presumably sea fish are less likely to carry bacteria that might infect trout, pike etc.

cheers

Glenn

p.s. any 'science' up above is filtered through a 35-year haze of riotous living, mind-altering drugs and cheap booze. But I think it's about right.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

"p.s. any 'science' up above is filtered through a 35-year haze of riotous living, mind-altering drugs and cheap booze. But I think it's about right." :D:D:D:D

Chris,my fault mate I should have used some smilies!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!