Black spot and pike baits

singy

When you start trawling through all of the scientific papers on this subject there is actually a lot of stuff that indicates that frozen sea baits could be more of a risk re the spreading of disease than any other!

Please dont take my word for it do a bit of research your selfs and draw your own conclusions! Absolutely mad aint it?

:confused:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to that, Blackspot is parasitic (and would likely be killed by prolonged freezing) and Red Sore is probably viral, but definitely mysterious. Can't see anything there that suggests that Red Sore comes via marine bacteria or that they might pose a risk to freshwater fish via pike deadbaits.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Sorry Glenn cant help there I just trawled through the Net years ago initially using search engines then following links from site to site.If I remember right it all started from a news item about a parasite transfered in the water carried as ballast in ocean going ships! This got me interested and the info re freezing/dead/live fish and disease/parasites etc etc just came along with it.Made me think though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes it is possible to spread disease from one water to another by many means, just as unfriendly soil organisms and seeds can be spread by anglers moving from one place to another.

The thing to bear in mind is that live baits and dead baits have been transported around for centuries by anglers, without any great environmental tragedy ensuing.

It's only in the last few decades that carp disease, spread around the carp ponds, has led to growing and disproportianate hysteria (and bans) amongst the angling and fishery 'management' community.

Nature has plenty of avenues in which to spread black spot into waters, whether or not it takes hold depends upon many biological/environmental factors.

If the fish population is vulnerable to black spot infection, nature will ensure its spread, with or without man's help.

Similarly if a population/lake/river does not have a predisposition to black spot, the parasite will not take hold, whether or not it's spread by man, or by other more natural means.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 25. September 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

disease is good ,without it resistance cannot be acheived ,we have roach with black spot in our pond so far (as far as we can tell) it hasent spread to other roach from other stockings and certainly not to other species ,the roach that had it (so much for "certified" stock) are a different shape than normal roach :confused: and seem to be longer than ordinary roach for their age whilst the others seem fatter so both are about the same weight ,maybe its because their welsh :confused:

we also have fish with strange red "boils" or red markings under the scales a batch was sent live to the E.A. the report that came back was the fish were suffering stress :mad: ofcourse they were they had been netted and sent for miles in a container ,do the E.A. ever ACTUALLY find the problem or is "stress" the word for "i havent a clue or who cares" :mad: we sent a load last year with a flesh eating disease the EXACT reason was stress :confused: i could post some horrific pics on here of fish with their body eaten away ,stress my ass

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I chatted to a Dr (fresh water biology) over the weekend and he confirmed Freezing will kill blackspot. and will knock out most things except some viruses and well encysted nasties.

Paul Singleton