rods for casting 100 yards plus

Guest Fishing4carp

Guest Fishing4carp

what do you think would be the best 3 rods for casting 100 yards plus, but still perform good when playing carp under the rod tip?

Thanks

Guest RobStubbs

There is no single answer as it very much depends. However generally a rod over 2 1/2 pound tc will reach the distance but only if the angler is proficient with the technique. I would suggest having a look at what others use and see if you can try them. Then you can make an informed decision.

Personally I use Daiwa dictators in 2 3/4 tc. I may just be able to hit 100 - unless I make it easier with lighter mainline/leaders but the rods are more than capable of it. Other rods include Nash pursuits, century, sportex, Daiwa infinities, ESP etc......

Rob.

Guest Steve Burke

Welcome to Angler's Net, in fact I see you're from the States so a double welcome!

To cast a long way you need a fast tip speed/recovery, but to play fish safely you need a smooth, gradual curve without any snatches. So, as I'm sure you're aware, there's always a trade-off between long casting and playing fish. However, some of the latest rods have to a greater or lesser extent got round this problem. It's still a compromise but a much improved one.

This is acheived largely by using several types of carbon (= graphite in US) of differing modulus in the same rod. Basically mainly low modulus is used near the tip, a lot more high modulus in the butt. This is coupled with different tapers in each section of the rod, plus varying wall thickness along the blank.

A few years ago when I ran Caliber Tackle I designed the Orbiter rods, which would both cast a very long way indeed and safely play fish under the rod tip. Instead of the usual method of improving the playability of a casting rod (which can wreck the tip speed), I worked in reverse and increased the tip speed of a through action design.

The result was a rod that had a very fast tip speed indeed for long casting, yet had a soft tip and would bend smoothly through the butt when playing fish.

The Orbiters acheived superb reviews and a very strong following, but unfortunately failing health caused me to close the company after just a couple of years.

Recently, I've had my arm twisted to come briefly out of retirement to design the successors to the Orbiters using the latest materials. These rods have performed extremely well in field tests and are about to be released. A full custom-build service is available.

Anyone interested can e-mail me, and you should refer to the AT8.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Let me add my welcome. Always nice to have another countryman posting here. smile.gif

Rod advice above is good.

A question though. Since it is pretty well a given that you get lots better carping if you can pre-bait the exact spot you intend to fish, are the 100yard casts really a "good thing"?

To bait up at that distance you will need a boat or something since I can't imagine anyone who can spod that far with accuracy.

If you are baiting up with a boat, you can always just back off 30yds or so and anchor. I do well enough putting out 3 anchors and a friend in SC has a pontoon boat he has rigged with legs on all 4 corners. When he puts the legs firmly into the bottom, he might as well be fishing from the shore or a dock.

Where in the States?

Guest Inspector Gadget

Further to Steve's post above, anyone in the market for some new rods should definately get in touch with him.

I was fortunate enough to meet up with Steve a couple of weeks ago to see the results of his hard graft and have a few casts with one of the new rods. It really was an awesome piece of kit.

Do yourself a big favour and drop him an e-mail.....you wont be disappointed !.

Stuart

thecarpangler - I'm not sure what the "offical" site rule for this is but I have put up quite a few in response to questions and haven't been blasted by the moderators.

I think that as long as you are responding to a question and not posting one of those "Hi guys - please buy stuff from me off my site at www.Im-Advertising-for-free.sod or " www.I-never-post-but-please-buy.oof " you will be fine.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 22 January 2002).]

Guest Steve Burke

Thanks for the kind words, Stuart. Another carp angler who wasn't in the market for new rods (as he already has Orbiters) had a go with the AT8s. One cast and he ordered a set!

Rik, I'm sure if Elton had a problem with such posts he'd soon delete them.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm