anglers paradise in devon ( help )

j green

it was only small about 2 pound probably not even that! but i was pleased to catch one! i hope to go back to anglers p next year however ive heard the fishing is getting worth by the year so im considering going to whiteacres As my mates just returned and has had a good time.!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was only small about 2 pound probably not even that! but i was pleased to catch one! i hope to go back to anglers p next year however ive heard the fishing is getting worth by the year so im considering going to whiteacres As my mates just returned and has had a good time.!

from what my mate told me white actes is fantastic for catfish many cats were coming out over 30 pounds. but not many big carp were coming out from what i can make out white acres is more of a match fishing venue but i am seriosly thinking about going there next year because by going by the reports from people goin to Anglers p the fishing quality is going down bank also i believe the accomadation is cheaper at white acres.

Hi All

Just thought I’d let you know how we got on at Anglers Paradise as we were there the same week as J.Green – good to meet you Joe? It was Joe wasn’t it – I’m not good at remembering names !!

All in all I was a little disappointed with the week as I failed dismally with the catfish hunt and felt that zyggy had let the place slide a bit (lots of overgrown swims etc)

This was a summary of our week.

Saturday – arrived 2pm – quick drink in the bar then off to Mystery lake for a few hours (szabi wanted to catch a barbel) I stuck to mini meat bites on the hook and blanked, szabi had a few orfe to maggot.

Sunday – AM – trip into Holsworthy – we had forgotton to pack a kettle or a flask!! Then onto the Float lake around lunchtime. Lots of orfe, a couple of goldfish and ghost carp. I also managed to catch some orfe on my flyrod which was fun.

Monday – 6am start on Octopussy – Tried Leeches, liver + squid all day – no bites for me. Szabi stuck to boilies and managed 2 carp, 10.09 lb and 14.11 lb (a new pb) so she was happy.

Tuesday – Koi lake – loads of fish up to just over 4lb to Mini Tutti Fuitti boilies, cockles + sweetcorn – and a few on the flyrod aswell.

I took a good look around in the afternoon when many of the fish were up in the water.

There were no where near as many larger fish 5lb+ as last year - all the big ones seem to be gone or hiding! – I wonder if he has sold them off. The 2 big grassies seem to be absent as well – we caught a total of about 50lb or so each, with most fish between 2 and 3 lb. Packed up about 6pm.

Wednesday – Didn’t start until mid morning due to food shopping trip.

Fished the rest of the day in the near corner of the Main carp lake which was very busy, again tried an array of catfish baits – no takes, eventually managed to weedle one out on cockle, it weighed a massive 2.02 lb yes 2 not 20!! Szabi blanked chasing the carp with boilies.

Thursday – Easy access lake. Another 6am start. Again tried all the baits for cats – no good. Switched over to big halibut pellets around midday and had 3 carp in the afternoon biggest just under 10lb, and a 3.03 lb golden tench. (Lost a couple of fish as well – one may have been a small cat as it charged up and down a bit in a cat like fashion)

Szabi had a succession of Golden tench and orfe and a few smaller carp, mostly on sweetcorn and then cockle.

Friday – Main carp lake – another early start. Fished hard again, usual catfish baits on one rod, big halibut pellet on the other. Result – one cat (approx. 5lb) that came off at the net. One other run that came off after a few seconds – it didn’t feel big and was probably another small cat hooked in the mouth pads. Szabi had no action on either of her carp rods. We’d had enough by mid afternoon and packed up. Once back at the villa we decided to pack the car and clear off home and avoid the Saturday holiday traffic.

I was surprised how busy the main carp lake and the specimen lakes were. We had planned to have at least one day on the speci lake, but felt it was a waste of time due to the pressure already on it.

None of the bigger fish lakes seemed to be fishing well.

I heard of a 23 lb carp caught on the speci lake by a young lady during the night before we got there and a couple of 20’s coming out of the main lake during the week, but I didn’t actually see anybody catch a decent sized fish myself.

I think Zyggy has expanded the accommodation a lot over the last few years, increasing the weekly headcount and the big fish lakes seem to be suffering as a result of the extra pressure. Which is not surprising as there seems to be anglers on them 24/7 through out at least 6 months of the year.

There also seemed to be groups of anglers “holding” swims continually throughout the week.

We will have to think hard before making a return visit – I think there may be better options available elsewhere. I don’t see the point of paying for accommodation if a 24/7 bankside approach is required. Orchid Lakes nr Oxford and Furnace Lakes in Sussex spring to mind as alternatives.

Sorry if this is a bit long but I wanted to say it as I saw it. :-)

Jess

good write up!

i to think that zyg has negletted the lakes as the last couple times i have been i have caught far less fish. i also believe he has sold alot of the koi too as i saw no bigger ones last year. i have a mate there at the moment so i will find out what he has caught. i dont think i will be going anglers p next year for rhe simple reason i think the fishing has gone way down bank. im comsidering white acres!