Which mainline?

Polly

So what are top of the pops when it comes to main lines then? I'm thinking about re-spooling with fox soft steel 12lbs B/S but what're your favourites?????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox Barbuster, Daiwa Sensor and Maxima are ones that I have tried and liked. Recently spooled up with the new Sensor clear but havn't had the chance to try it out yet.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

You may find this article by Jim Gibbinson of interest:

http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/jim09.htm

Personally I use Pro Gold. See my field test at

http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

That field test was based on the 4.4lb, and I've since used the 8lb and 15lb. I'd add that for fishing open bail arm I find the 15lb a little too springy for my taste. Pro Clear is much better in this respect but is rated differently i.e. the breaking strain is when dry and unknotted, as opposed to wet and knotted with Pro Gold.

[ 24. February 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I quite like Daiwa Infinity duo or Sufix Supreme, that because they are what I am using at the moment.

Honestly I do not think there is much between most of the premium lines, as Jim Gibbinson poimts out in his article most of them come from only two or three factories world wide and exhibit the same properties.

If I was on a budget I would probably use Daiwa Sensor Clear, .

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Anthony, with the daiwa sensor you mentioned, do you not find that it goes very coily and the line frays easily? Maybe youre doing something im not, if so tell me please! I only buy it for the price, but seeing as the new daiwa clear is only a quid more, could you tell me how it performs cos i might switch.

Ethan

Wind the line on you reel submersed in a bucket of water, this stops heat build up.

Do not use a pencil or such like to create a spindle effect as this just adds twists to the line.

Ive only used the Sensor Clear on my multipliers for Sea fishing and its performed well but I can not comment on how it would perform on a fixed spool.

Mind you I've often thought about using 6500 size multipliers for Carp fishing, someone must have tried it.

[ 24. February 2005, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ethan - No I havn't found it to be any more prone to coiling than any other mono. Same goes for the fraying, it does go dull and roughs up after a while but again no more than usual, just a sign of having done some hard work and needing replacing. Perhaps you got hold of a bad batch if you've found the problems you've mentioned to be excessive?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

also make sure it comes off the bulk spool the opposite way to your reel spool. usually the side with the label on, this will put a reverse twist till you wind on thus correcting itself ie if your bail arm turns anti clockwise ensure it comes off the new spool clockwise. I never submerge it in water either, I just hold a damp cloth between fingers to put slight tension on the line..

[ 24. February 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]