Cat rig?

Common 40

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allibee has account troubles and asked me to post this for her.

an-catfish-buoy-rig.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Carp angler goes catting is my immediate thought to the rig shown! couldnt possibley have any thing else on it could it! No offence to the good lady but crikey theres more gear there than in my tackle box!

Interesting thing though is that it looks very similar to a set up used by local cat anglers out in Czechoslovakia to present a surface/shallow live bait and avoid boat traffic at the same time.As you can see from the picture the scale is a bit different

dumbell.jpg

Now thats what I call a Dumbbell float rig!This version is also designed to "fall apart" when playing the fish.A lot of the Czech guys we know actually train their dogs to set and recover these rigs!They are fishing for big fish mind.Every year this particular area produces cats around the 80kg mark.Talking of "going big" check out this geezers "pin"

kingpin.jpg

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Common 40 - what you should probably take away from this rambling thread is that lots of different rigs do fine for catfish. They aren't nearly as picky as carp in my experience.

The rig Allibee drew up is a special-purpose one of some sort. Budgie has drawings of some he used on the Ebro and they are also fancy and probably excellent in certain conditions.

I don't fish for Wels since there are none in the US and the cats I go after aren't as pressured as yours but I do fine with a very simple rig.

Mainline to a swivel and a sliding weight on the mainline with a bead above the swivel to protect the knot.

Hooklength of a foot or more depending on conditions and lighter b/s than the mainline.

Circle hook tied to the hooklength and bait on the hook.

I vary the shape of the weight depending on conditions so in a fast river current I use a flat one that holds bottom nicely while in snags or rocks I may use a round one or may just put a weight on a rotten bottom (weak piece of line) at the end of the rig so it breaks off easily.

I've caught a goodly number of catfish over the past 50+ years and if you present a bait they like, they are usually pretty obliging about getting hooked.

I may be told I'm totally wrong in my approach or that it won't work for Wels in the UK but for the most part, I like my rigs just fine.

I do fish under a float in mid-water on occasion but even then I don't get fancy with things.

I'd have to say that for catfish, if you fish where they are and with bait they like, you are gonna catch fish as long as the bait is on a hook and the hook point is free to stick the fish. Fish where they are not or with bait they do not like and no rig will help out very much.

[ 17. February 2005, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President