Record Carp!

Elton

Hot from Terry Hearn's own phone, relayed to me by Wordbender....

Lee Jackson has caught Two-Tone today at the record weight of 61lb 11oz.

Nice one, Lee.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind about that, mush - why have you used an apostrophe in 'DVD's', but not in 'Videos'? :rolleyes:

This is important, I think you'll agree.

Keep It Anal. :D

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Wordbender:

Never mind about that, mush - why have you used an apostrophe in 'DVD's', but not in 'Videos'? :rolleyes:

This is important, I think you'll agree.

Tight with my apostrophes,

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Elton:

Hot from Terry Hearn's own phone, relayed to me by Wordbender....

Lee Jackson has caught Two-Tone today at the record weight of 61lb 11oz.

Nice one, Lee.

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Nice one Jacko, couldn't have been caught by a nicer bloke! :)

quote:

Originally posted by Elton:

Err, because DVD is an abbreviated term and video isn't (or is, but is accepted in the same manner as "phone" is nowadays.)

Tight with my apostrophes,

Elton[/QB]

You are SUCH a fibber, Murph! You and your degree just can't stand being c'rected by an ol' Gypsy-boy, 'kin yuh Bor'?

Anyway, you can't be nasty to me, coz I'm an ethnic minority, I am. :rolleyes:

Terry :cool:

The python strikes! Yep, Lee is a smashing, straight-as-a-die sort of bloke. I just wish that:-

1. the record has fallen to an unknown fish (and they DO exist), and that Lee had caught it

2. there will be no post-capture hype.

However, we can now expect a product-by-product account from the tabloids of what was crucial to the fish's capture - the make of the lead (which always strikes me as a joke given that it's a natural metal), Lee's choice of under-arm deodorant, his preferred make of car, etc. :P

If you're reading this, Lee: well done, pal. But please don't (and I am sure you won't) take it too seriously.

Boss - tut, tut. The apostrophe in 'DVD's' can only be employed in this context if it shortens 'DVD is'. But to use the word phone without that little comma is way outa order. As it shortens the word telephone, the word should be written as 'phone.

Sorry, I'm a picky little beggar this evening. Smack my wrists - I just have.

[ 30. August 2002, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Well Done Lee, good for you

Now Now children

just remember that Elton is a God (creep creep grovel grovel) & he can ban you from his website if he wants to, not that he'd do it to a nice fella like myself (shut it Terry you bloody pedunkle).

Elton i'm not happy with you, when we nicked two tone you promised me i could be the one to "catch" him & be famous, i'm coming down tomorrow & taking him out of your garden pond & putting him back where he belongs (in Gaffers)

Bruno

I've heard rumors of a BIG carp in a "little" pool not far from your house mate, just wondering if you'd heard the same rumor?? (give you a clue to the pools name? its got a golf club named after it)

(Terry only joking with the pedunkle bit mush "onist i wuz") now put the gun down & call of the staffie :P

[ 30. August 2002, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: ALAN FAWCETT ]

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Bruno Broughton:

Boss - tut, tut. The apostrophe in 'DVD's' can only be employed in this context if it shortens 'DVD is'. But to use the word phone without that little comma is way outa order. As it shortens the word telephone, the word should be written as 'phone.

Sorry, I'm a picky little beggar this evening. Smack my wrists - I just have.

Okay :) "Phone" is now an accepted noun in the English language and the use of an apostrophe is considered superfluous:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp...p?key=phone*1+0

DVD is an abbreviation (Digital Versatile Disc), but, upon further investigation, I'll let you have that one

Err, nice fish. Wonder how long it took to land....

Tight lines,

Elton

P.S. Please don't report me to this site:

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

[ 30. August 2002, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

quote:

Originally posted by ALAN FAWCETT:

(Terry only joking with the pedunkle bit mush "onist i wuz") now put the gun down & call of the staffie
:P
[/QB]

ELLLTONNNN! That horrible Alan Fawcett is being beastly to meeeeee!!!

Tellim, Elton, tellim!

(Someone orta give that Fawcett a tap on the shoulder).

So, back to the apostrophe war, then. Erm...I won, yeah? Only checking, like. :D

BTW, Murph, that means that you lost, ok? :rolleyes:

.... Having accomplished this significant advance for mankind, Terry now heads for the Amazon to sort out the rainforests.....

Terry (Not a pedant, oh no siree)

Although in theory, the use of an apostrophe in DVD's is erroneous, being what is commonly known as a "grocer's apostrophe", it has been accepted into common useage when applied to such abbreviations or acronyms. It is regarded as an acceptable substitute for what would otherwise have to be D'V'D's. I would hate to have to explain that to grammar students though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.