Gravel Pit Carp

Elton

Elton, I'm not entirely sure what happened with Laneman because neither Paul Selman nor Stephen Lane (who constituted Laneman) felt it necessary to inform their authors. My understanding is that Paul Selman relinquished his interest in the company, which left Stephen Lane running the company by himself. Stephen Lane subsequently sold Laneman stock to Angling Publications.

And that's all I know.

From Laneman as a company - and indeed from its two founders - I've been the recipient of deafening silence and a worthless contract.

Fortunately, other publishers with whom I have had recent dealings (Little Egret Press and Crowood Press) operate with complete professionalism.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it helps I recently got a copy from Coch-Y-Bonddu Books (tel. 01654 702837) at the cover price of £19.95 brand spanking new and I got the feeling that they had several copies. It is the best, most practical book on carp I have ever read. Its even better than Jim's previous works (sorry Jim).

DavyR, why would I be annoyed by your statement that Peter Stone's "Gravel Pit Angling" is a good read? I've always been a great admirer of Peter Stone's writing. He was an original thinker, an expert practitioner and, according to those who knew him (I never had the pleasure of meeting him) a thoroughly nice guy.

Laneman never did pay me in full for a chapter in one of their books and they tried to make me feel as if I was a moaning old sod for having the nerve to remind them. I had a feeling they were having trouble.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter, sorry to learn that you lost-out, too. Mind you, I never imagined that I was the only one!

While on the subject of payment (or non-payment) for angling articles, books etc. Anyone considering writing for Italian publications should take care - they are not, shall we say, the most reliable payers in the world! I've had difficulties with one French magazine, too. And surprisingly, a Dutch magazine. The best and most reliable payers of the lot, in my experience, are the Germans. They are ultra-efficient - always on time and never need reminding.

Jim Gibbinson:

DavyR, why would I be annoyed by your statement that Peter Stone's "Gravel Pit Angling" is a good read?

Didn't want you to think I was trying to put someone off paying £128 for a copy of your book (but then realised later that it was a secondhand copy anyway so you didn't stand to make anything from the sale!).

I was given a copy of 'Gravel Pit Carp', signed by the author, by a friend who gave up fishing in order to avoid a divorce.

I told him not to be so damned stupid, which sadly turned out to be sage advice... she left him for a younger model three months later. Sadly, Glenn still can't bring himself to go fishing again. I hope time heals wounds.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Dear Alan, I also have a copy of "Gravel Pit Carp" signed by the Author, does this mean my marriage is at risk ?

What can I do ?

signed,

Concerned Cranfield.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield:

Dear Alan, I also have a copy of "Gravel Pit Carp" signed by the Author, does this mean my marriage is at risk ?

What can I do ?

signed,

Concerned Cranfield.

I was going to suggest a letter to Marge Proops... but the old hypocrite's been dead a few years!

[ 26. September 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine