Ultimate Carp Pond But How Can I catch them!!!

TeAl

Hi William;

You could get a rubber net. They are very gentle on the fish and not having any exposed knots, there is no damage to the fish.

As far as bait goes, watch your step with live bait in Holland as it is illegal. No worms, maggots, leaches, etc. I know this is on private property, but the Gov. has the right to enter and convict if suspected illegal activities are conducted. As for bait and rigging, you will need an 8-10' rod (pole) with a good backbone and a fairly soft tip to take the impact of a good run. Go with a smaller diameter line, 10 or 12# test with a 18- 24" 10# fluocarbon leader. I think part of your problem is the shiness of the fish. I fish a lot of natural streams and rivers with very little fishing pressure and found that if they can see the line or anything out of the ordinary, they'll stay away. And get a can of corn, put some on the hook (a fairly small one) and add some fish attractant. Also make absolutely sure your hands are clean! Natural fish really pickup (and don't like ) human smell. I have a small sponge in a baggie that is soaked in dishwashing liquid and always use it before baiting. Hope this helps some, good luck and good fishin'; Capt. Hook.

P.S.: planning a trip to Holland this summer, any chance I could get the address? (LOL, just kidding)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Hook. Good to see you on here my friend.

Why don't ya post a quick bio on here so these folks will know a little about ya. Maybe a "Meet Hook" thread or something. :)

[ 23 March 2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

floating baits such as breadcrust and dog biscuits such as Chum Mixers

Yeah I agree when I have fished for carp that have never been caught before I have always used floating bread (white) and found it is a very deadly bait especialy in the summer when the fish are near the surface. As for tackle a belive that as long as you play the fish right you should be able to land it, example I have used a standard match rod (not expensive at all) with 4lb line and a size 16 hook with very good knot in it (sorry can'nt explain very dificult) and just make sure the bread is as naturall as you can get it, and I have caught up to 20lbs with this method (belive it or not) I just have to play it for a while but the fight is well worth it. Also you could try going at night to fish for these big carp as I have found when I have had a very hot day that even in the night that the carp top up near the suface and they still take floating baits (mainly bread I have found) as night time they will not be expected to be fished for even if they are warey. Give it a try, hope you do well its a method well worth trying. Must point out that I have never had to wait more that 1 hour for bite and my quickest time I have caught a carp with this method is about 10 mins. Gota be worth a go.

Good Luck

Fish_Mania

:cool:

Nite fishing can be very good at the right time of the month. Just before full or new moon is the best. We go for the occasional nite stint fishing for sturgeon, don't know why, never caught one yet at nite, but we have logged a good number of carp, catfish, bream and last summer a 6.5# largemouth (at 2am!). The thing to watch here, and I'm sure in GB too, some areas don't allow nite fishing and some of the fines can be pretty stiff, so check before you do. One area we used to fish was no problem fishing, but we could not park there after midnite and got a parking ticket!

Good fishin';

Hook.

P.S. thanks for the welcome Newt. Just could not stand being quiet any longer. And when I saw that they'd let Phone on here, I figured I'd give it a shot. As far as a bio......, well here's a bit.

Fish for whatever bites and is in season (hopefully both), where ever there is water, from the shore (mostly), or by boat. Have 16 rods (poles) build or rebuild/ modified/ etc. by yours truly. I make (most) of my own spare spools for both front and rear drag reels and if I don't like the handle, drag, bail assembly, etc. I will tinker with it until it works. Also own a front drag/ rear drag reel (that still works great Phone), because I did not want to spend mega bucks on an outdated Shimano baitrunner. The tinkering is required to fill the time when we are snowed in in our igloos here in Canada.

That about enough Newt?

Good fishin'; Hook.

P.S. 2: tried to post an earlier P.S. and don't know if it got through as I got knocked off before it was send. Anyway, thanks for the welcome Newt. Just could not stand being quiet any longer. And when I saw that they let Phone on here, I figured I'd give it a shot. As far as a Bio........., fish where I can, when I can, for whatever bites a/o is in season (hopefully both). Build/ rebuild my own rods (poles) and modify my reels until they do what I need them for (we have lots of nonfishing time here in Canada while snowed in in our igloos). I even have a front drag/ rear drag reel (still working great Phone), because I did not want to spend mega bucks on an outdated Shimano Baitrunner. Also spend a fair bit of time on this thing in the winter looking for fishing bargains (my Dutch heritage demands it!). Rods and reels for 1/2 price or less? Plenty to be had, if you look around (a Suveran 3000 for US$ 93.-, DAM FTS 645 US$ 39.99).

Hey, I love it. Anything else you can fill Newt.

Good fishin'; Hook.