Frozen Bollies

Guest jasper31uk

Guest jasper31uk

Can someone tell me if its alright to re-freeze left over boolies from a session. I've asked a few people and i get different answers.

------------------

Rodbenders United

Guest RobStubbs

You will get different answers from people here and to some extent I think it depends on the bait and how long they have been out of the freezer and the temperature.

Briefly I will re-freeze but generally will just use some of the 'old' baits with a fresh batch. I will also only re-use in cooler weather (i.e. not summer) and only if baits have been thawed for a day or so. In my experience catches haven't suffered.

Rob.

Guest thecarpangler

I agree Rob.

If it's not feasable to throw in the excess bait at the end of the session (e.g. it's not a water that you normally fish or you can't prebait for other specific reasons) and the bait has been out too long, then I tend to take them home and dry them out in pellet for a few days and then air dry them.

At a later time they can be glugged for boosted attraction, but will keep indefinitely if dried out corretcly.

Guest Chris Shaw

This has always been a sticky question.

Some say the fresher the bait the better it will work.

Then I know of carp anglers catching on really old sour going off baits. Mould on boilies etc.

Chick peas and Black Eye beans when going off start to forment and work really well.

If you are happy about refreezing the bait and it causes no problems with your confidence then carry on.

Not an exact answer I know, but it is the best one I have I am Afraid.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

Guest jasper31uk

Thanks! I think i will refreeze them as i tried drying them out once and they went rock hard and i lost all confidence in them. I know confidence is a major factor.

------------------

Rodbenders United

Guest Gaffer

Hi all,

Originally posted by RobStubbs:

You will get different answers from people here and to some extent I think it depends on the bait and how long they have been out of the freezer and the temperature.

Briefly I will re-freeze but generally will just use some of the 'old' baits with a fresh batch.  I will also only re-use in cooler weather (i.e. not summer) and only if baits have been thawed for a day or so.  In my experience catches haven't suffered.

Rob.

I totally agree with that Rob, that's exactly what I do.

Saying that, I always leave my hookbaits on when I reel in and pack up to go home.

As soon as I turn up in my chosen swim (and before I set up) I fire out my old, mouldy and rock-hard single hookbaits to any movement or likely spots.

You'll be suprised how many times I've had a run within 5 mins!

If my old hookbaits don't get any attention I then put on a fresh hookbait and bait-up once I've set up and comfortable.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 08 January 2002).]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest develish_dean

IN REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION I MUST SAY I HAVE ALWAYS RE-FROZEN MY BAITS WHEN I HAVE BEEN FOR A SESSION. NOT JUST BOILLIES I HAVE ALSO FROZEN THINGS RANGING FROM PIGEON CORN TO GROUND BAIT.

I MUST ADMIT I HAVE FOUND THEY ALWAYS PRODUCE BETTER THAN THE FIRST SESSION.

HOPE I HAVE BEEN OF HELP AND HAPPY CARPING

Guest Chris Shaw

Us old people here can see the screen without the use of capitals.

Also using captials on the internet in this way is deemed as shouting, us olduns are also not quite that deaf yet, WHATS THAT YOU SAY........... biggrin.gif

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.