Two hook rigs.

Guest Leigh R

Guest Leigh R

Has any one explored the use of 2 hook rigs for carp fishing?

For example, the 1st hook been hair rigged for a bottom bait and then further up the line the 2nd hook rigged for a pop up. The set up could be finished of with a bolt or running lead set up.

Is it worth pondering further?

Would it be safe?

How about tangle free?

What do you think?

------------------

Leigh

Guest Andy Thatcher

I use twin hook rigs for roach.

Never, never, never I am trying to get the idea of NEVER use one for carp.

You can guarantee being able to control a roach no matter what size but with the strongest tackle available a 15lb carp will go where it wants when it wants leaving the second hook open to snagging.

Dangerous situation that should never be countenanced.

Leave the idea in the rig bin at home.

------------------

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

Hi Leigh, I think you'll find that multiple hook rigs for Carp fishing are banned by most clubs, well they on the waters I fish. wink.gif

Carp are a strong and powerful fish, they can easily power off into weed or snags, etc. In this situation a trailing second hooklink would be disasterous.

Also, Carp would twist and turn during the fight with a risk of being hooked on the second hook.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest Leigh R
Originally posted by Gaffer:

Hi Leigh, I think you'll find that multiple hook rigs for Carp fishing are banned by most clubs, well they on the waters I fish.    wink.gif

Carp are a strong and powerful fish, they can easily power off into weed or snags, etc.  In this situation a trailing second hooklink would be disasterous.

Also, Carp would twist and turn during the fight with a risk of being hooked on the second hook.

Glad I asked for some input from you guys. This idea has been put in the bin.

------------------

Leigh

[This message has been edited by Leigh R (edited 24 December 2001).]

Guest chesters1

also we have to use wire and nylon wire coated is disallowed , i have always prefered using 6olb nylon ,its fairly flexible ,doesnt break when kinked

and hasent got a "sawing" tendancy of wire ,if i can catch conger on it a pike is hardly able to bite through it ,you can feel it fraying so it can be replaced ,it is in my view more fish friendly than a 2 x treble + wire !but rules is rules

Guest Steve Burke

Chesters, I'm not sure whether you're last post is a wind-up!

Whatever, for the sake of the less experienced, using nylon or braid for pike traces is highly dangerous. It's not a question of if you'll get a bite-off, it's just a question of when and how often! If you're using even one treble hook this could well mean one more dead pike.

Using one single hook without wire is not so bad. However, unlike perch, pike don't seem to be worried about wire traces. So even with just one single hook, wire is safer and will catch you more pike.

Having said that, nearly all pikers use treble hooks, usually in pairs. That's why, quite rightly, so many waters insist on wire traces when piking.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm