your best secret weapon

Dman

Yep and if theres any remains of fire's about, ash and charcoal works even better. Work with corn too if your quick enough.

Edit, if you put some dirt in a bag, seal it up and use a blunt syringe (like the ones for force feeding animals) to add your glug, you can get quite a bit in.

[ 25. June 2005, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: DJMCJERICO ]

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dman:

i did mean more along the line of the little extras that you choose to use rather than essential kit,

In fact there is something that I use that Im convinced has help me catch fish over the years.Seeing one sat on the desk in front of me has reminded me.It certainly aint a secret but very few others seem to use them.Its a simple hook sharpener.All this money spent on fancy gear and the latest wonder bait and most are quite content to fish with blunt hooks :rolleyes: Beggars belief!especially when most modern carp rigs rely on the fish pricking/hooking them selves! :confused:

A little extra? No I supose for me this simple piece of kit has become an essential.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

In fact there is something that I use that Im convinced has help me catch fish over the years.Seeing one sat on the desk in front of me has reminded me.It certainly aint a secret but very few others seem to use them.Its a simple hook sharpener.All this money spent on fancy gear and the latest wonder bait and most are quite content to fish with blunt hooks            :rolleyes:    Beggars belief!especially when most modern carp rigs rely on the fish pricking/hooking them selves!    :confused:    

A little extra? No I supose for me this simple piece of kit has become an essential.

I have to agree with you Budgie because you prove the point to me when I was with you at the Wingham Fish ins that I was using chemical sharpen hooks which I thought they were sharp enough and the hook what I did used was blunt indeed.

[ 25. June 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Burgess ]

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Someone can tell you about local sources but here is the sort of thing and the sort of prices in the US.

an-hook-sharpeners.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve et al the reason (if the truth be known) that most anglers dont use hook sharpeners is that they cant master using one! all attempts with stones.file etc just making the hook even blunter!

The model I have always used is idiot proof as the fact that I can simpley sharpen any hook up to around 8/0 with it proves!

It is called a Diamond Eze-lap.I get mine from the states but you can buy them for around £7 in this country.Seen them advertised recently mail order will try to find out where it was for you.Ignore the instructions on the packet though!

To use it you hold the hook point up in between your thumb and fore finger.Place the sharpeners grooved side against the hook point.Make a short stroke upwards at an angle of around60% on the front of the point and repeat on each side.Easier done than explained! To check the point both before fishing/sharpening and whilst fishing/ after sharpening just use the "thumbnail test".To do this just hold the hook point down and run it over your thumb nail.If sharp it will dig in instantly.If not sharp it will simply slide across.After you have actually tried this test think about how it will effect your hooking!

I normally keep a suplly in that I sell for £6 +P&P but only the one left at the moment and thats going in the post tommorow to Andrew.Will be ordering some more before the Autumn so if you cant get one let me know.

Here is a picture of one-

bigcats03.jpg

[ 27. June 2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

Budgie - did you ever try one of the battery operated ones? I have lots better luck using one of them than the hand-held versions. As you noted, get the angle wrong or, more usual, change it while working on the point, and you have a point that is too thin or not particularly sharp.

I prefer to just use a good chemical point when fishing a normal hook. The Gamakatsu and Owner hooks have a sharper point when I buy them than I can duplicate with a sharpener. Hook gets the least bit dull and I replace it.

However, for touching up the points on lure hooks they are essential. For saving money on replacing hooks they are essential.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Only mechanical one IUve ever tried was the one on the top of my Berkly line striper.Ok for getting lots of metal of big hooks but useless for small ones or just touching up.

Steve,checked up where I had seen them advertised in the UK-Just Fish Gifts they have a web site at-

www.justfish.co.uk

their catalogue lists the price at £7.45p.