leadcore

Guest **sam**

Guest **sam**

how safe is leadcore? myself and gaffer were discussing this yesterday at the conference whst nattering on the SACG stand.

is ensuring the lead can be pulled free the only safety consideration you have to apply?

what are the pros and cons of pendulum safety clip style leads compared to inline leads?

how dangerous is leadcore *without* the lead?

is it safer to use 3 feet than using 8 feet of leadcore?

i use leadcore with no problems. my leads can easily come off and the short lengths i use may not tangle on branches as readily. i splice and loop it and have never lost a fish at the knot, leaving leadcore trailing from a carps mouth.

what opiinions do people have on how safe leadcore is to use. i understand it is banned on some waters. how can safe leadcore use be defined?

**sam**

Guest Chris Shaw

How safe is leadcore?

Good question, without wanting to spark anybody off here, I can only say that it is as safe as the person who ties it.

If the person who ties it is not very competant in knot tying etc then it will be unsafe.

The waters that it has been banned on, have banned it over incompetant usage I would think.

It is like any rig, it can only be as safe as the person who ties it. I could tie a safe bolt hair rig, and the next man could tie an unsafe bolt hair rig.

Getting back to leadcore, its use was to keep everything flat in the area of the rig, so if it has been banned then just use a flying back lead, works a treat. Even this has to be setup correctly otherwise it can be unsafe.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

would really help me to get some imput on this as my club are considering banning leadcore.whilst i agree it can be tied safely the majority seem unable.we have seen leads that won,t come off ,and up to 12 feet of leadcore tied to the hooklength.so where would it break?leaving fish trailing all that leadcore. i don't use it as i prefer lead tubing from esp but don,t want to ban if possible.let me know what you think.cheers big al

Guest mpbdsnu

No offence meant to anyone, but i cannot understand why anyone would want to use up to 12ft of leadcore. I'm happy using a maximum of a metre per rig - after all its only around the hookbait and immediate freebies that we should be concerned about. Anything further out should not be a problem.

As long as the carp are not gonna be spooked around the bait, then I'm confident.

Hi all, it was a very good discussion we had and in the short time we had we covered some interesting points.

Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

....I can only say that it is as safe as the person who ties it.

Chris, they are the exact words I used! wink.gif

Should leadcore be banned?....No, education and good policing would be my answer!

Fishing is all about minimising theoretical risks to the fish and angler, educating anglers will do just that.

Safety leads (inline) or Safety clips (pendant) will discharge the lead if set up correctly, but the hooklink will still be connected to the leadcore.

This would mean that in the event of the mainline parting the fish would trail a hooklink and leadcore even with the lead discharged.

My only question is this, if the mainline parted and the lead discharged, which has the lowest risk of tethering, a hooklink and leadcore or a hooklink and tubing/mainline?

The only rig that I can think of the would free the hooklink from the leadcore in the event of the mainline parting would be the Helicopter Rig.

If the Helicopter Rig is set up correctly the hooklink can be pulled free, but the Helicopter Rig isn't exactly weed friendly!

I believe Marsh Pratley(sp?) the owner of the Orchid lake banned leadcore and shockleaders form his lake because of a tethered fish. ('Arnie' wasn't it?)

I can't see why leadcore is more prone to tethering than mono!.....I would like to know Marsh's thoughts out of interest.

What does everyone else think?

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest RobStubbs

Gaffer,

Whilst I would agree that lead core can be made safe it is far more difficult than mono (if we're talking leaders). Lead core has a tendency to wrap around things whereas mono is essentially very slippery. That is essentially why it is banned on most waters because people use it without thinking of the consequences. But look at it another way, why does anyone need the stuff the answer they don't. There are plenty of alternative presentations available to achieve the same objective. I have never used leadcore and almost certainly never will, I just don't see a need in my fishing, regardless of the fact that it's banned everywhere I fish at the moment.

Rob.

Guest mpbdsnu
Originally posted by RobStubbs:

[b There are plenty of alternative presentations available to achieve the same objective.  I have never used leadcore and almost certainly never will, I just don't see a need in my fishing, regardless of the fact that it's banned everywhere I fish at the moment. Rob.[/b]

Hi Rob. smile.gif Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain what alternatives you use to achieve the same objective?

I use leadcore or sink tubing as an alternative (but prefer the former) because I know for a fact the rig will presented how I want it, ie: flat on the lake/river bed.

Hi all,

Lead core has a tendency to wrap around things whereas mono is essentially very slippery.

True, but as you'd probably agree Rob, there is still a risk of mono wrapping around things, albeit a small one. wink.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I still think every set-up has it's own theoretical risks to fish safety.

It's up to the angler to weigh up the risks, depending on the water and it's features, to make his/her set-up as safe as possible.

But look at it another way, why does anyone need the stuff the answer they don't.  There are plenty of alternative presentations available to achieve the same objective.

I would prefer to use leadcore in weedy conditions than tubing for the following reasons. Leadcore is a lot thinner, collects less weed and cuts through weed better than tubing.

Weighing up the risks (can you tell I've been doing Risk Assessments at work! rolleyes.gif ) I wouldn't use flying backleads in heavy weed either.

Some good arguments here, but I'm still not convinced on the banning of leadcore.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 04 December 2001).]

Guest Chris Burt

All

This all makes very interesting reading, and the postings here are a fair reflection of the split reaction we are getting to the continued use (or otherwise) of lead core as a leader. Some vehemently oppose it, others see no reason to discontinue its use.

AS some of you will know SAA are currently updating our "Code of Conduct" and this is one of the areas we are being asked to address. I believe our best advice will not be to ban it, but to "Use with extreme caution", and then define what exactly that means, ie length of leader, leads to fall away easily, leader knots not to impede shedding leads and lots more, plus rig diagrams I expect. If you want to add ideas to this I will gladly add your points to the draft I'll be putting together. If you can post them here or send them to the SAA e-mail address that would be great.

Many thanks!

Chris Burt, SAA.

Guest RobStubbs

In answer to the question 'what do I use' I use either a slack line (margin work) or I don't worry about it. IMO too many people worry too much about lines laying flat, rigs with loops in etc. A rod fished at anything like a moderate distance will have the line near the rig on the bottom. Mono sinks and therefore it lays on the bottom - what more do you need ? Sure there is weed, bars etc but the bit at the end is probably flat and if it isn't (riding over a bar etc) then leadcore is unlikely to dramatically alter that.

In summary my personal opinion is that I can do without leadcore and to be honest if I controlled a fishery I'd ban it - it just isn't worth the risk. Examples I know of where fish have been tethered include Withy and Orchid - and leadcore is now banned on both.

Rob.