leadcore

Guest **sam**

Guest RobStubbs

Gaffer,

I normally use tubing (nashy or ESP I think). Tubing is just because I've always used it as most of the time I use stiff(ish) rigs which v. rarely tangle. It is more important with braided hooklengths (generally silkworm - not 'pinned down').

Rob.

Hi all,

Yep, definately only as safe as the person who ties it!!

I think Lead core has gotta be the worst thing a fish could drag around besides a lead itself. I'd like to think that at least a fish has a chance of breaking free from some snagged 10lb mono, but not 35lb lead core frown.gif

I must admit i use leadcore all the time (when i do get to fish!), mainly coz it don't tangle and i don't gotta thread it wink.gif

Usually us it CV rig or Big Rig Stylie

(Ensuring with a little pressure the swivel gets past the knot.)

I personnally only use it on relatively 'clean' lakes and in my opinion do not like to see lead core used in lakes containing a lot of weed or snags.

I don't think you could justify using leadcore on weedy lakes anyway because of the complications of 'pinned down' rigs in weed.

Leadcore, i love the stuff but not in the weed wink.gif

Bretty

Guest Wordbender

As a 'core man myself, I can state that the 'miser' knot invented by Keith Moors is a great step forward for rigs using sliding beads and swivels to free the hooklink - basically helicopters, I guess.

This knot is soooo simple to tie, totally secure and snugs down to a third the size of a needle knot, or grinner - plus, there's no loop to splice and no tag-end sticking out to catch weed.Get on it, chaps.

Gaffer - if there isn't already a step-by-step of the miser knot in the 'rigs' section, then you da maaan to do it. smile.gif

Be a miser this Christmas!

Terry

Watcha Tel, (oh and little bruv Bretty! biggrin.gif ) I've got the 'Miser' knot (or as I call it the 'Moors' Knot) already drawn out somewhere.

I use it all the time, another plus side to the knot is the amount of wastage to the leadcore when cutting/retieing, which is minimal.

I'll go see if I can find it!

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

all good stuff,if you guys were the only members of the lake no problums how easy would it be.but unfortunatly we are dealing with 300 members who were not first in the gene pool!!.therfore if the majority can't use it safely dispite attempts at education should we ban it.

as a principle i hate bans and will be loath to do so but with the price of carp of 20lb and more can we afford not to.thanks for the imput i will let you know the outcome next week.cheers big al

Guest **sam**

thanks for the comments people. it certainly sparked the debate i was hoping for.

personally, i use lead core most of the time and have done for the past 6 seasons. i use it in lengths of up to 10 feet. this is due to the amount of margin fishing i do. coupled with several backleads, the fish cannot spook off the line or give me line bites. mostly the leader is about 3 to 4 feet in length. i use a combination of inline leads (wide bore) and running leads with alrge rings. another good lead system to use is the jim shelley style of lead. large bore inlines.

weed on the leader knot is my main concern. recently i have been bringing in weed caught round the hooklink where the snakeskin is stripped back. as a result i haqve taken the lead core off. no detrimental effect has been noticed, but i dont catch much anyway!

i dont use flying backleads anymore due to other reasons thatn snagging in weed. buffy lost the tip ring of 2 rods in consecutive casts due to backleads hitting the eye on the big chuck. once is scary enough, but twice!! no more flying backleads for me!

as with everything, use it wisely. armed with a 4oz lead and 13 foot 3 1/2lb tc rod, you could inflict serious damage if aimed at people. or oyu could poke someones eye out with the tip ring. either way, everything is dangerous to a certain extent.

be lucky!

**sam**

(echo)

A question folks. Since the idea of the leadcore line (from what I am reading here) is that it sinks and will lie out of sight, wouldn't a length of fluorocarbon line do about the same thing but be somewhat safer to use? The stuff sinks much better than any mono and hugely better than a braid.

If you were dealing with the wash from boat traffic, it probably wouldn't do much good but you don't do boats except on the occasional river and canal. In water of over a couple feet depth, wave action shouldn't stir it around unless it is way too windy to be fishing in the first place.

I've read some saying they had knot problems with this variety of line but for me, at least, a palomar holds just fine. I haven't tried but I suspect a knotless knot would hold fine too.

Originally posted by Newt:

In water of over a couple feet depth, wave action shouldn't stir it around unless it is way too windy to be fishing in the first place.

A fair weather angler eh! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Does rain put you off as well? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Eddie - I'll have you know I fish in some really horrible weather. Why the temperature can be as much as 5º above or below 22ºC and I'll still go. The wind now - I've even been known to go out in a howling gale of 4-5 knots.

Seriously - my attitude is somewhat colored by the fact I fish around 99% of the time from a 17ft boat with fairly low sides. Trust me on this - adding 30mph to the wind speed by running the boat can put a bit of chill on the body. I use ski goggles during the winter when I'm running. And have a good selection of waterproof cold weather gear since getting soaked with spray when the temps are low ain't a bit of fun. Still, I do fish in most any weather. We have one species (crappie) that seems to go into a feeding frenzy when sleet or snow is hitting the water.

Usually though, I avoid the occasional day here when the wind is having a real blow. Luckily for me, I think you folks have more of those days than I do. If I had good places to fish from shore, I might even fish the days with lots of wind.