boilie question !

Guest scoobs11

Guest scoobs11

bearing in mind on my local pond most of the bigger 6lb+ carp are only caught early or late in the day and night fishings not allowed,it would appear they feed mainly at night.

with that in mind most of the boilies will have had most of the flavour washed out of them due to being in the water all day till the carp eatem at night.

i'm thinking the carp are gonna recognize washed out boilies are "safe" coz theres no night fishing.

this leads me to wonder wether its worth having some bright coloured boilies sitting in a pot of pond water so they lose their flavour,but they will be visible coz of their colour.

any thoughts ?

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful

anmc founder member

Guest thecarpangler

Probably not the answer you want, but if the bigger fish are only 6lb+ then I wouldn't even be entertaining boilies as bait.

This is an even bigger can of worms than the two hook rig thread.

Guest Chris Shaw

As thecarpangler says, "If the bigger fish are only 6lb+ then I wouldn't even be entertaining boilies as bait."

Try a paste bait.

If you do want to continue with boilies, and as you say they are picking up washed out baits, then yes you can take the baits that you are using and place them in some lake water. Or the other way is to put way less flavour/attractors in if you are making your own, and do not forget a bait that has been in the water several hours will have a whitey blurred looked to it.

I would go in with the paste bait myself.....

Or as we used to do on a water I used to fish for carp of this size and it worked really well.

Take a length of 1lb to 2lb nylon, tie onto one end of this 2 or three maggots, then place a piece of cooked pork sausage cut into about a half inch square onto the nylon so that it sits onto the maggots, tie this onto the bend of size 8 or 10 hook leaving about a half inch to three quarters of an inch space between the top of the meat and the bend of the hook. This used to work really well even in the winter months.

Hope this helps.

Just a thought, how big are the 6lb+ carp, that could be anything from 6lb to 40 plus???

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest scoobs11

confusion reigns ! i'll try to be a bit clearer-

the only carp that really get caught through the day are the smaller ones ie below 6lbs.

the bigger ones from 6lb to 20lb+ appear to be only feeding at night.

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful

anmc founder member

Guest RobStubbs

Scoobs,

Are you sure the (bigger) fish are a) in there and B) only feeding at night ???

I'd be extremely surprised if there were any difference in the feeding habit of different sizes of carp. I have never encountered it in any of the waters I fish. What may be worth considering is moving off the swims if you are catching only small fish. What can happen is the fish move around in age group schoals and hence the biggies are somewhere else.

Just a thought but I don't believe 'washed out baits' make a jott of difference.

Rob.

Guest thecarpangler

Carp are carp and you can't target size, unless you start using 50mm+ baits.

If the water contains small carp then I would just attempt to catch as many as possible and create a competitive feeding situation and just hope that some of the bigger fish move in.

I'd sit there and spray a gallon of maggots all day.

Guest scoobs11

spraying maggots just means the roach go menthol.

the carp are deff in there ,they get caught very early in the morning and again as its going dark but very rarely through the day.

but little ones get caught through the day .

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful

anmc founder member

Originally posted by thecarpangler:

If the water contains small carp then I would just attempt to catch as many as possible and create a competitive feeding situation and just hope that some of the bigger fish move in.

I'd sit there and spray a gallon of maggots all day.

Scoobs,

This is sound advice.

Big fish often hold back and let the smaller fish feed for a while. Once they feel confident enough, they'll move in.

Probably best to accept the fact that you'll catch quite a few small fish before the biggy hits!

Elton