feeder fishing for small carp

Guest fish slime

Guest fish slime

Hi all,im not a hige Carp Angler but i dont mind fishing for them.

Yesterday i went to Yeadon Tarn for a bit of feeder fishing.i was after some small carp which they have plenty of and withing 3 hours i had 5 mirrors max 2lb and 1 comon around 3lb,i lost a few early on when fishing with a maggot feeder with treble on the hook but then put 2 red worms on and they didnt half wrap round.

can you give me some tips on catching small carp on still waters in winter,thanx

fish slime

happy fishing

Hi Fish Slime, I've had some success recently with a very large block-end feeder used in-line and stuffed full of white maggots.

For hookbait I used 8 white maggots on a size 10 hook.

I would have gone up a hooksize or two, but I have trouble with the maggots splitting because of the gauge (thickness) of the hook.

I take off the feeder connector and pass the mainline through the middle of the feeder.

I then thread on a rubber buffer bead and tie onto the hooklink swivel.

Even when the feeder is full of maggots the mainline can run freely through it.

(I even got the in-line feeder rig in the readers ideas section of IYCF about 7 years ago!)

A couple of minutes after casting out I give the handle of the reel half a turn to put the hookbait amongst the pile of freebies.

I've had some big Carp using this method and also some huge Roach!

Hope that helps.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 02 December 2001).]