Bin 'em or sharpen 'em?

Guest Gaffer

Guest Vagabond

Neither - I get two strong pairs of pliers and bust the hooks - for the same reason that I cut up line into little bits before disposal.

------------------

Vagabond

I dispose of mine - but in the trash bin at home. With the chemical points, I can never quite match the sharpness of a hook right out of the pack.

On lures, I do sharpen but with regular hooks, not worth it IMO.

Guest mpbdsnu

I throw mine away mate! At home though of course!

One reason being that I do not have the means to sharpen them YET! But I will soon I dare say. One more ESSENTIAL item for the tackle box. he he he biggrin.gif

Like Newt, lure hooks are the only ones to get re-used for me.

I adopted this policy from my days of sea fishing, where hook quality changed my catch rate overnight.

Elton

Guest peter mccue

I used to re-sharpen them years ago, but with modern chemically etched hooks you just cannot match the original point, so in the bin they go!

Guest Steve Burke

Again the same as Newt. My treble hooks aren't chemically sharpened and so can be rehoned.

I reckon the hook suppliers are on to a good thing with chemically sharpened hooks. Not only do they cost more in the first place, but as they're harder to resharpen you have to replace them more often!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Originally posted by RobStubbs:

Gaffer,

Carp hooks go in the bin (unless I've run out of tied up rigs).

Rob.

Rob (et al),

Is this after every session, or every fish? I know a lot of 'serious' carp anglers change their rig every run and their success rates would indicate that this attention to detail, applied across the board, certainly pays off.

Me, I'm too lazy for that smile.gif

Elton

I resharpen them, place them in a box, and give them to the youngsters when they run out of hooks on the banks! On more than one occasion the person running out has not been so young! biggrin.gif