Bin 'em or sharpen 'em?

Guest Gaffer

Originally posted by RobT:

... the only hooks worth saving are 8/0 stainless o'shaunessys. And they aren't much use for carp!!!!

Interesting RobT. I know that 10/0 or 12/0 are safer when targeting decent size carp or catfish as they are less likely to bend/break but surely those 8/0 would be fine on a venue with mostly smaller carp.

Oooh - the devil made me say that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Mike Connor

If you want really sharp hooks, then hone them with a fine diamond file ( Eze-lap is good ), and then dip them in battery acid for a few minutes. This is the same chemical sharpening process used by many hook manufacturers. It removes any fine burrs etc, and makes the hooks "sticky" sharp.

Wash the hooks off carefully in warm water, and then dry.

TL

MC

Hi Newt

Your quite right - I find the 12/0 is just the right size to whip to a pole and use as a Gaff - it goes in just behind the head and causes minimal damage to the body for mounting purposes biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Also good for mounting a whole potatoes (I think trebles for carp are barbaric) biggrin.gif

Rob

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by Mike Connor:

If you want really sharp hooks, then hone them with a fine diamond file ( Eze-lap is good ), and then dip them in battery acid for a few minutes. This is the same chemical sharpening process used by many hook manufacturers. It removes any fine burrs etc, and makes the hooks "sticky" sharp.

Wash the hooks off carefully in warm water, and then dry.

TL

MC

Thanks for that Mike, I think that's probably the most useful tip I've heard in a long while....

Cheers

Simon biggrin.gif

Guest Mike Connor
Originally posted by Simon Newbould:

Thanks for that Mike, I think that's probably the most useful tip I've heard in a long while....

Cheers

Simon biggrin.gif

The battery acid will work on normal carbon steel hooks, and also on coated or plated hooks that have been honed ( honing removes the coating at the hook point of course).

It will of course attack the coating ( nickel etc) on plated hooks, ( it wont attack gold plating, or some types of varnish or similar coating), but this is usually minimal. The hooks only need to go into the acid for a few minutes. You will notice the difference immediately. Do the "thumbnail test". ( Don´t pull too hard, or you will be visiting the doctor!! ).

You can actually use almost any acid, but battery acid works alright, is not too powerful, and is readily obtainable.

After treating rinsing and drying, a wax block is a very good way of storing the hooks so that they don´t rust. A piece of foam well sprayed with "Pledge" will also work.

For stainless steel hooks you need special acids, or special procedures. If anybody is really interested in this, then I can outline a few procedures, but they are not really suitable for hobbyists, as some of the materials are difficult to obtain, and very dangerous.

Just one further point ( pardon the pun). This method will of course also sharpen hooks upon which flies are tied, but it will also invariably damage the flies beyond repair. ( Just telling you, because a guy who used the tip from me, then sent me a nasty e-mail saying that his flies had either dissolved, or turned yellow, there is just no pleasing some folk.

While we are on the subject, please don´t wash your cat in the washing machine, or dry it in the microwave. This makes the fur rather lifeless, ( not to mention the rest of the cat ), and more or less useless for fly-dressing purposes.

TL

MC

Originally posted by RobT:

Also good for mounting a whole potatoes (I think trebles for carp are barbaric) biggrin.gif

I think trebles for any reason are a major pain in the hindparts for the angler. I have even taken to removing one hook from the trebles on my lures leaving me with doubles. And crushing down the barbs on those.

Nothing whatever to do with the welfare of the fish but make it lots easier for me to unhook them and not foul on the landing net so often. That way I can get back to fishing again quicker. I suppose it is easier on the fish as well but then, you can't have everything. biggrin.gif

Newt

All joking aside - I to have started to remove hooks from the lures (depending on species size etc) If I am Bassing and know there are a lot of Scoolies around I leave only the back treble on the lure - small fish still hit big lures and wrestling to remove these does the fish no good.

Rob

I do some of that as well. Just have to be careful with some lures that you haven't destroyed the balance and action. Sometimes you need to put weight on front to equal what you removed with the hook.

And I make the trebles into doubles and crush the barbs down. I lose the odd fish that I would otherwise have landed but still prefer the lures this way when it comes to removing fish from lure.